Kootu also known as Dal is an easy dish to make. Put everything together in the pressure cooker and cook it for 4-5 whistles and add tadka!!! If the required veggies are kept ready, then it takes about 20-30 minutes to get it ready. As an Vegetarian, the main source of protein comes from the Dal for us, so i try to make it twice in a week apart from the regular sambhar and rasam.
Ingredients1/2 Kg Ashgourd/White Pumpkin
1/2 Cup Masoor Dal/Red Lentils
1 small Tomato, Chopped
Salt to taste
Coriander Leaves for Garnishing
1/4 Cup Freshly grated Coconut
2 nos green chili, silted lengthwise
1 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
a small piece of ginger
1-2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Black gram dal, dehusked
2 nos red chili, broken into pieces
1 tsp of shredded ginger
hing a pinch
- Soak Masoor dal/Red Lentil in Water for 15 minutes. Peel the Ashgourd Skin, Remove the seeds and Chop it into pieces.
- Take the ingredients give under "To Grind" and grind it to a fine paste with little water.
- In pressure cooker, add the Chopped ashgourd, Masoor Dal/Red Lentil, Ground Paste, tomatoes, Salt and one and half Cups of water. Pressure Cook for 4-5 whistles.
- When the pressure releases, churn it using the back of the laddle.
- Heat oil given under tempering, splutter mustard seeds, black gram dal, broken chilies, and hing. Saute till the dal turns brown and Pour it over the Kootu. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve as an Rice Accompaniment