Baking Partners this month, Swathi chose to make Cheese cake, she gave us four recipes to choose from and i chose Sweatha's suggestion No Bake Mango Cheese Cake from Divine Taste.
Though i got all the ingredients ready the same week, but then my lil one got sick, Viral Fever for 2 weeks, so totally got tied up and couldn't do the bake on time. Then finally last weekend, i made it for Dinner and man, we enjoyed it a lot!!!! I had to save few slices for the Click the next day, it was that yum!!
1 1/2 cups digestive biscuits/plain sweet biscuits, crushed
1/2 cup butter (preferably salted butter), chopped
1/2 cup fine sugar or powdered sugar
3 cups thick full cream yogurt
1 cup water
1/4 Cup Chinagrass or Agar Agar
2.5 Cups of Mango Puree, i used canned mangoes, Fresh Mangoes can also be used
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Mango Glaze
1/2 cup Mango Puree
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
Hung Yogurt n Paneer
- Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth lined colander over a container and allow to drain overnight to get half the quantity thick yogurt.
- For making Paneer, boil 2 litres of Milk, add a juice of lemon when it starts to boil keep stirring until the whey separates completely. Add 7-8 ice-cubes, take t off the stove. Strain it over a cheese-cloth lined colander. Collect the whey completely.
Prepare the crust
- Place all the biscuits in a sealed plastic bag (Zip loc) and with a rolling pin beat until the biscuits are powdered or use your blender to do the job.
- Once this is done put the biscuits in a large mixing bowl. Put in the butter and rub with your hands until the mixture is well mixed. Alternatively, process the biscuits in a food processor until fine, drop in the butter and process again until the mixture is properly blended.
- Remove the mixture and press it evenly into the base of an 8” deep round spring-form pan or any pan with a removable bottom or a 9” regular round pan. Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for half an hour.
Prepare the filling
- Break the china grass into small pieces and soak in 1 cup warm water for about 10 minutes until it becomes soft.
- In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or blender place the strained yogurt and paneer cheese or cottage cheese and process until smooth and creamy. Transfer this to a mixing bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat the mango puree over a medium flame. Do not allow this to boil. In another saucepan place the china-grass and water mixture and stir on low heat until it melts completely, about 10-12 minutes. Do not allow this to boil.
- After the china grass melts completely, pour the hot china grass solution into the hot mango puree, stirring all the while.
- Slowly add the mango mixture into the yogurt and cheese mixture, stir in the sugar and vanilla extract and beat well with a wire whisk until well blended.
- Pour this mixture over the prepared crust, level with a spoon and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.For the Mango Glaze
- Place all the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. When it begins to boil, reduce the flame and cook for 3 to 4 minutes more. Allow to come to room temperature and then spread the glaze over the cheesecake with a spoon.
- Allow the glaze to set over the cheesecake for 2 to 3 hours or more before slicing it. Allow the cheesecake to set for an hour or so before spreading the glaze over it.