Carrot in Kootu, yes!!Carrot is a Sweet Veggie and many of them Don't prefer it using it many recipes. To balance that sweetness and make it more interesting, i try to include it in a Spicy recipe, Like in a Tangy Tamarind Kuzhambu or in a Spicy Pepper Kootu. Today's Recipe is a Poricha Kootu, Where Urad dal n Peppercorns are slightly roasted in oil and ground to a fine paste using fresh coconut. So, the spice of pepper will balance the sweetness of Carrot.
I love Chana Dal/Gram Dal Kootu more than Moong Dal!!! Coz Chana Dal/Gram Dal adds a unique flavor to the dish, that too, when combined with coconut, the taste is truly mesmerizing!!! It reminds me of the Pooshnikaai/Ashgourd Kootu they serve in Marriages/Functions!!! Nostalgic-a,Longing to taste a Perfect South-Indian Marriage/Function Food Served in a Fresh Green Banana Leaf!!! :)
1 Large Carrot
1/2 Cup Chana Dal/Gram Dal
1/4 Cup Dhuli Moong Dal/Split Green Gram
1/4 Cup Peanuts
Salt to taste
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Peppercorns
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1 red chili
2 tbsp Freshly grated Coconut
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
hing a pinch
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Peel and Chop the carrot into cubes. Wash and Soak, both the Dals and Peanuts together in Warm Water for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, add 2 drops of oil and roast Urad dal and Peppercorns separately.
- Take the roasted pepper and urad dal along with rest of the ingredients given under "Roast n Grind" in a mixer and grind it to a smooth paste with 1/4 Cup of Water.
- Take the Soaked Dal,Peanuts, Chopped Carrot, in a Pressure Cooker, Add the Ground paste and Salt, Mix well. Pressure Cook for 4-5 Whistles.
- When the Pressure Releases, Open the Cooker, Heat the oil given under "Tempering", Splutter mustard seeds, crackle cumin, add urad dal, hing and curry leaves.
- When the dal turns brown, pour the sizzling tempering over the Kootu. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves, Serve Hot with Rice/Roti.