Who doesn't like those chocolate coated donuts, sitting cool on the Dunkin Donuts Kiosk!!! I love it and Kuttu Loves those chocolate glazed ones!!! So, when Gayathri announced this month's Baking Eggless Challenge, Kuttu was more excited than me and glad i didn't disappoint him. Jayanthi of Sizzling Veggies suggested a delicious recipe of Crispy and Creamy Doughnuts. I thought Doughnuts are baked goodies, but to my surprise this a Deep Fried Version. Enjoyed them thoroughly. This also goes well with my BM Color theme today : Brown
Recipe Source: Allrecipes
Ingredients : Original recipe makes 18 doughnuts
3 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 Cups Lukewarm Milk
1 tsp Instant Yeast
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tbsp shortening
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Vegetable oil for Deep frying
- In a Large Bowl, Take 2.5 Cups of flour, instant yeast, Sugar and salt and whisk well for the ingredients to mix well.
- Make a small dent in the center of the flour-mix, add half of the lukewarm milk. Milk should be lukewarm, too much hot or too cold milk will kill yeast.
- Using a electric beater/your hands start working the dough. I used a electric beater with the dough hook. Add Milk and remaining 1/2 Cup flour, little by little as required.
- When flour comes together as dough, add the shortening and vinegar and form a smooth dough.
- Oil the bowl well and place the dough inside it, i used the same bowl i used for making the dough. Cover it with a kitchen cloth and let it rest in a warm place for an hour.
- After an hour, the dough would have doubled well.
- Take the dough out on to the Kitchen counter, punch it out to remove the air. Sprinkle little flour and roll it out into 1/4 inch thick. using a Cookie-cutter or a round disc cut out doughnuts. I used my tupperware bowl which was around 3 inches in diameter. And using another small bottle cap cut out another small round from the center of the doughnut. For this i used my Coloring bottle cap.
- Do this with rest of the dough. Let the doughnuts , rest again for another 45 minutes or until they are double in size. Keep them covered with a kitchen towel, prevent drying.
- After the said time, Heat a Pan with Oil for deep frying. When the oil is hot enough, slide the doughnuts and fry them on both sides until they turn golden brown. Take out of oil using a slotted spoon and drain in a kitchen towel.
100gms Dark Chocolate, broken into 3-4 pieces
100gms White Chocolate, broken into 3-4 pieces
2 tbsp of butter
a Plastic bag/Ziploc pouch for the white chocolate drizzle
- Take the Dark Chocolate in a Microwave Safe Bowl, add a tbsp of butter and Cook @ Microwave high for 2 minutes. Take it out after every 1 minute and check whether it is melted. I was using the chocolate straight from the freezer, so it took 2 minutes for it melt. If using chocolate @ room temperature, it might require less time. So it is better to Cook for 1 minute first and then increase if required.
- Whisk the melted chocolate well to get a smooth liquid.
- To Glaze the doughnuts, take them one by one and dip them into the melted chocolate and rest them on a parchment paper laid tray to dry.
For the White Chocolate Drizzle
- Take the White Chocolate in a Microwave safe bowl, add a tbsp of butter and Cook @ Microwave high for 2 minutes. Follow the same instructions given for Dark Chocolates.
- Whisk the melted chocolate well to get a smooth liquid. Let this cool. Take the cold white chocolate into a ziplock pouch or a plastic pouch, make a small hole using scissors at the end of the pouch for the chocolate to ooze out.
- Drizzle away on the doughnuts. Let them dry, keep them refrigerated and Enjoy!!