In our home, we all love dried fruits, all kinds. Even Kuttu loves to snack on Dry fruits than on biscuits. I made these Bars/Ladoos as part of Diwali Sweets, especially for kuttu. These are quick to make, don\t need to sweat before the stove for long time. At the same time, they are great in taste and health.
Info Courtesy :WWW
Figs contain a type of antioxidant called phenols, which may lower your risk for heart disease and cancer by preventing cell damage by dangerous free radicals. Fiber lowers your risk for high cholesterol, heart disease and constipation. The fiber in figs may also help you lose weight since it makes figs more filling, helping you eat fewer calories.
Dates on the other hand is rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut. They contain health benefiting flavonoid polyphenolic antioxidants known as tannins. Tannins are known to possess anti-infective, anti-inflammatory, and anti-hemorrhagic (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties.
With so much health benefits, why not include them as part of our festivities and make it a healthy celebration.
1 Cup Dried figs
1 Cup Dates, seedless prefered
1/4 cup chopped Almonds
1/4 cup chopped cashewnts
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 Cup ghee
- Soak Figs in Hot water for 5 minutes. Drain. Take it along with dates in a blender/mixer and blend smooth.
- Grease a Flat plate/Loaf pan with ghee or simply line it with parchment paper.
- In a heavy bottom add 2 tbsp of ghee. add the chopped nuts and toast. When they start changing color, add the ground figs and dates paste to it and mix well.
- Let this mixture cook in a slow flame. Keep Stirring to avoid burning. Do not be tempted to increase the flame.
- After 10 minutes,the mixture will start coming together with the laddle as mix. add the remaining 2 tbsp ghee and dessicated coconut and keep stirring.
- When it comes together as single mass. take it off the flame and pour it in the greased plate/loaf pan. Smooth the top with a greased spoon. Let it set for an hour.
- Invert it on another plate and cut them into squares. You can even make ladoos out of it. Instead of pouring it in a greased plate, you can let it cool in the pan itself. when it is warm enough to touch, make ping-pong sized balls out of it. Store them in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Sending this to Kids Delight - Nutritional Food for Growing Sports Enthusiasts, happening @ +pradnya desai 's Pumpkin Farm, Event by +Srivalli Jetti