Kuttu's school started today, what a relief to both of us!!! With him at home,
my whole routine was upside down. Coz, i normally get up early to pack his lunch and complete whole cooking by 7:30/8:00 am maximum and do rest of the work later. These 15 days, my routine was totally messed up!!!!
So, his first day of school in 2014, i asked him what he wants for breakfast, he immediately told Pongal!!!! Though i expected dosa, since i had batter ready in the fridge. But then pongal isn't that tough to make in the morning!!!
Since these days, i m experimenting with non-rice breakfast for the whole family, i made this barley pongal today. It tasted pretty much like regular pongal. Kuttu and his daddo didn't even realize the difference.
With a big bowl of sambhar this pongal makes a wonderful breakfast option, that keeps you full for a longer time and also delivering the wholesome goodness of wholegrains!!!
Ingredients1/2 cup barley
1/2 cup dhuli moong/split green gram dal or dehusked green gram/Moong dal
1 green chili
1/2 tsp coarsely crushed black peppercorn
1 cup milk
1 cup water
1 tsp of shredded ginger
Salt to taste
Tempering2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1/8 tsp hing / asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbsp broken cashew nuts
- Wash moong and barley once and soak in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker take barley and moong along with water and milk. Add pepper, green chili, turmeric and salt. Mix well and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
- When the pressure releases, heat a kadai with ghee given under "Tempering".
- Add cumin , curry leaves and hing. Add cashew nuts, when it turns brown, add the cooked pongal to this mix well.
- Garnish with freshly grated ginger. Serve hot with Sambhar and Chutney.
Sending this to Kids Delight -Cooking with whole grains, happening @ Sandhya's sace, an event by +Srivalli Jetti