Sundal is a must neivedhiyam during Vinayanagar Chathurthi/Ganesh Chathurthi or Navrathri. Apart from being a good neivedhiyam it is an healthy snack too.The sundal spice given below, ups the taste a bit. You can even add some flaxseed to the spice mix and have a fiber-rich masala for your stir-fries.
2 tea Cup Peanuts/வேர்கடலை
Salt to taste (approximately 1/4 tsp)
Roast & Grind
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp chana dal
1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
3 nos red chilies
a sprig of curry leaf
1/2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp chana dal
hing , turmeric each a pinch
- Soak Peanuts in warm water for 10 minutes. While the peanuts are soaking, dry roast the ingredients given under roast & grind in a kadai. Let them cool for a minute or two, then powder them coarsely in a mixer.
- Drain excess water from the peanuts and take it in a pressure cooker, add water to immerse the peanuts. Add salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles or until done. If making it for much older people, i would suggest cooking for 3 whistles. Let the pressure release on its own, remove the peanuts from the cooker, drain the excess water and keep it aside until use.
- Heat oil in a kadai, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, turmeric and chana dal. When the dal browns a bit, add the drained peanuts and saute well.
- To this, add 3/4th of the ground spice mix and mix well. Let this be on the stove in a simmer flame for another 4-5 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Take it off the stove and serve warm.