For H we are visiting Hungary, though i thought of making their famous kalacs, i ran out of time, but then i m definitely going to bake them in coming months. But for today i chose to make their favorite street-food, Langos, a fried bread that can be served with variety of toppings, one among them being garlic water!! seriously, would they be serving a mouth freshener along???
Wiki says, traditionally lángos was baked in the front of the brick oven close to the flames. This is the basis for its name "láng" means "flame" in the Hungarian language. Lángos was made from bread dough and was served as breakfast on the days when new bread was baked. Now that people no longer have brick ovens and do not bake bread at home, lángos is virtually always fried in oil.
There is also another variety of Langos called the Krumplis Lango/Potatoes langos, where boiled potatoes is added along with the flour and deep fried.
I served these fried beauties with sour cream and powdered sugar. Oh they were awesome, straight out of the stove, drizzle sugar and take a bite, you would experience what i said!!! :)
Source : Zizi's Adventures
300 gms All Purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 Cup water
1/2 tsp salt
Oil for frying
- Take flour, salt and yeast in a bowl. whisk well to mix.
- Add water slowly and start kneading to make a dough. Knead well to make a smooth dough.
- Keep the dough covered with a kitchen towel and let it rest for an hour or until doubled.
- After an hour, turn the dough on to a floured surface and punch it down and divide the dough into 10 equal portions.
- Flour your work surface well and take one ball at a time and stretch it to a round shape using your fingers. Keep the inner side thin than the outer edge of the langos. I tried to stretch to a diameter of 5 inches. Let the made langos rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep-frying, when it is hot enough, slide one langos at a time, fry until it is golden brown on both the sides.
- Serve it hot.Top it up with your choice of toppings, we loved it with powdered sugar, sour cream and cream cheese.
- If you are serving it later, warm it up in a Microwave for 20 seconds and serve along with toppings.