Weekend cooking always need to be a bit extra special, why? No, idea! Maybe that is the time we all get to sit as a family together and have a relaxed meal. Though we eat atleast one meal of the day together, mostly dinner, weekend meals is what is considered to be a family meal. So, it is always a bit more than what we cook regularly. These days,i keep weekend meal with some roti, 2 sides and some mixed rice, sometimes dessert. So in following that menu, today i made this finger-licking Bhaigan ka bharta, Roasted eggplant, mashed and cooked with spices to make this punjabi delicacy a superb match of roti's.Ingredients
1 Large Eggplant
4 cloves of garlic
2 Medium onions, chopped
4 nos green chilies, chopped fine
2 Medium tomatoes, chopped fine
1 tsp shredded ginger
1 tsp cumin + 1/2 tsp cumin seeds for tempering
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
2 tsp oil + 1 tsp oil for greasing the eggplant
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves (i didn't have it, so missed it)
- Wash the eggplant weel and grease it well with oil. Make 4 slits on the outer and stuff one garlic inside each slit.
- Preheat Oven to 190C, keep the greased -garlic stuffed eggplant in an baking tray and roast for 40 minutes or until the eggplant is all wrinkled.
- Take it out of the oven, let the eggplant cool. Peel the skin of the eggplant and mash it well with a potato masher. Keep aside until use.
- Chop onion and tomatoes. Dry roast cumin and coriander together and powder them using a mortar-pestle.
- Heat oil in a kadai, crackle cumin seeds, add chopped onions, chilies and ginger and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes, and 1/2 cup water, add turmeric power, pounded cumin-coriander powder, garam masala powder and let this cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Now add mashed eggplant to this and mix well. Check the consistency add 1/2 cup water, if needed, let this sit on the stove for 8-10 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Take it off the stove, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with Roti's.