The last bread for the theme is a savoury bread. A simple recipe inspired from my Kartoffelbrot recipe. A whole wheat bread, spiced with freshly pounded peppercorns and sandwiched with colorful peppers tossed with simple masala. This makes delicious dinner with a warm soup or a filling breakfast/brunch on a weekend day. I made a small loaf and it all vanished almost immediately.
Please excuse me for the terrible photos, almost night when i clicked this, if at all i make it again, will take a decent shot that time.
1 & 1/4 cup Whole Wheat flour ( I used Pillsbury atta)
1/2 tsp instant yeast
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly pounded black pepper powder
1/2 cup mashed potato
1/2 cup water
2 tsp oil
1 LArge onion, chopped fine
1 orange pepper/capiscum
1 yellow pepper/capsicum
1 green pepper/capsicum
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly pounded pepper powder
- Take wheat flour, yeast, salt, pepper powder and mashed potato together in a large bowl. Mix it together to form a shaggy dough. Now slowly add water to this mix and knead a soft dough.
- Do not add all the water at the same time, add 2 tbsp at a time. When the flour comes together as a dough, add oil and knead for 5-8 minutes to get soft dough. Since we have added mashed potato, the dough will be pretty soft. It will be little sticky, but manageable.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and let it sit for an hour or until it doubles in size. While the dough is resting, let us make the filling
- Heat a pan with tsp of oil. Add cumin seeds, let it crackle, add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
- Next add the chopped peppers followed by red chili powder and coriander powder, pepper powder and salt. Cover and cook for 8 minutes, for the flavors to mingle. Remove the cover and let it sit for 5 minutes on the stove. Take it off the stove and let it cool completely before using it in the bread.
- Once the bread doubles in size. Remove it to a well floured surface. Punch down the extra air. Roll it into a rectangle.
- Spread 3/4 of the filling on the rolled dough. Using a pizza cutter, cut 4 long strips of the dough. Arrange the cut slices one top of the other.
- Again the cut into 4 portions. Grease an 4 inch bread tin with oil or line it with parchment. Arrange the cut slices as 4's into the tin. Let it sit for another 45 minutes. Top the loaf with the remaining filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180C and bake the loaf for 35- 45 minutes or it turns golden brown. Remove from the oven, let it sit on thecounter fo r5 minutes. then remove the loaf onto a cooling rack.
- Let it come down to manageable warm. Slice and enjoy with spicy ketchup or raita.