For the week 2 of Blogging Marathon, i chose pull apart breads as my theme. I had opened bags of wholemeal and rye flours, so i decided to use them in the sweet bread. It is a mildly sweet bread with some dried cranberries and chocolate chips to bribe the kids. The color of the bread looks as if it is a chocolate bread, but it is the wholemeal and rye making it look a bit dark. You can use white flour to bake these, where the berries and choco chips will look pretty peeping from the rolls, making it all the more tempting on the table.
1 cup wholemeal bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1/4 cup sugar
3 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature (2 tbsp + 1 tbsp separate)
1 cup warm milk
3 tbsp dried cranberries
4 tbsp semi sweet chocolate chips
2 tbsp raw sugar for topping
- Take milk in a microwave-safe mug and warm it for a minute. To the warm milk, add 2 tbsp butter. I used my food processor to knead the dough. Take all 3 flours along with yeast and sugar in the food processor bowl.
- Pulse it few seconds for it to mix well. While the processor is running add the butter mixed milk to the flour mix and start kneading a soft dough.
- While the dough comes together add cranberries and chocolate chips to the dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes to get a soft dough.
- Remove the dough on to a kneading surface and Knead for another 2 minutes. Take the dough in a well-oiled bowl and it rest for an hour or until it is well doubled
- Once the dough doubles, remove the dough on to the kneading surface. Punch down the extra air from the dough. Knead the dough for a couple of minutes. Divide the dough into 15 portion. Line a 9-inch pie dish with parchment or grease it well with butter.
- Roll.the dough into a ball and arrange it on the pie dish in a circle. Let the arranged dough ball's rest for another 45 minutes. After the said time, preheat the oven to 180c.
- Brush the top of the rolls.with butter and sprinkle the sugar on top. Bake the rolls for about 34-45 minutes. Once done, remove the rolls from the oven. Let it sit for 5 minutes in the pan.
- Then remove it on a cooling rack. Let it cool for another 20 minutes. Dust the rolls with some.powdered sugar or drizzle some.chocolate syrup for some.extra oomph. Serve warm and enjoy.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#65