For the third week of the Blogging Marathon, i picked up the theme 1 ingredient and 3 dishes. I picked up Potatoes as my ingredient. I remembered +srivalli 's Potato theme for a month during Cooking Carnival, September 2016 Mega Marathon. I even wanted to do all her gravies, but then condition here is to make 3 courses with Potatoes. So, here is a simple, yet delicious sandwich with Potatoes.
Mumbai style Masala toast sandwich, the only difference here is i didn't have the toaster, so i toasted the sandwich on a tava. I have already made a simple aloo sandwich before, but the taste of both the recipes are so different. What oomps the flavor in this sandwich is the roasted cumin powder and chaat masala, so don't miss them both. A simple, yummilicious breakfast/snack anytime.
2 Large Potatoes
2 nos green chili
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3-4 curry leaves
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
a pinch of hing
salt to taste
handful of chopped coriander leaves
2 fistful of fresh coriander leaves
1 fistful of mint leaves
2-3 green chilies
a clove of garlic (optional)
salt to taste
Assembling Sandwich (makes 5 sandwiches)
10 slices of bread
1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, cut into roundels
1 Large tomato, cut into roundels
roasted cumin powder
- Wash, peel and cook the potatoes until soft. I used my microwave to cook the potatoes. Cut them into cubes, take them in a microwave safe glass bowl, add water to immerse the potatoes and microwave high for 8-10 minutes. Drain. mash it roughly and keep aside.
- Heat a pan, add 1 tsp oil , crackle cumin, hing and curry leaves. Next add , chopped green chilies, add the mashed potatoes, followed by turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well. Let it sit on the stove for 5 minutes for the flavors to mingle. Finally finish it off with coriander leaves and take it off the stove. Let it cool.
- Take the ingredients given under 'Green Chutney' in a blender and add 1/4 cup of water and blend until smooth. Transfer it to a serving bowl and keep aside.
- Let us make the sandwiches now. Take 2 slices of bread, apply butter on the inside of both the slices, spread 2 tsp of green chutney, top with 2 tbsp of potato masala, add a slice of onion and tomato, top it with roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and close with another buttered slice of bread. Repeat the same with other slices of bread.
- Heat a flat tava, and toast the bread on both the sides until golden brown and crisp with butter/ghee. Serve it hot with Ketchup/green chutney with some sev garnished on top.
- My people enjoyed it with some more onions, tomatoes and chaat masala sprinkle on top.