Those days, I used to use the same sambar masala for every curry i make and hence everything tasted same and weird too. So, i never had the confidence to make North-Indian dishes. Then slowly, as i read about the different cuisines, the spices used in each of them, i could see a difference in my dishes.
Comparing me then(2011) and now, there is definitely a leap in the learning curve. Hope to keep it this way and expand my taste and knowledge with food.
Coming to the recipe, the first time i made, i did in the microwave and have used garlic and freshly pounded spices in the curry. I have now made few changes to the method and spices used. Do try and let me know how you liked the curry.
Ingredients (Serves 4) (Recipe updated on 24th july, 2017)
1 cup paneer cubes ( i have used store-bought amul paneer)
2 nos medium onions, thinly sliced
2 nos green Capsicums , thinly sliced
1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
2 nos medium tomatoes, chopped
1 green chilli, slited lengthwise
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp Kasuri Methi
1 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Fresh Coriander or mint for Garnishing
Here is the Video on how to make this delicious subzi:
To Prepare Store-bought Frozen paneer
- If using store-bought frozen paneer, it has to be softened before using in the curry, for a succulent paneer dish.
- Soak the frozen paneer in hot water for 5-8 minutes, this will nicely soften the paneer. Drain and keep aside until use.
- Heat a wide pan with oil, and crackle cumin. Add thinly sliced onion and green chili to this and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Once the onions are sauteed, add thinly sliced green and red peppers to this and saute for a minute or two.
- Next add chopped tomatoes to this, followed by red chili powder, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Mix well. Cover and cook for 5-8 minutes for the flavors to mingle well. Remove the cover, stir once, add drained paneer and salt to this, mix well. Cover and cook for another 8-10 minutes, for the spices to infuse to flavor the paneer. Once done, remove the cover, stir well. Add kasuri methi on top, stir once. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot garnished with fresh coriander or mint with roti for a scrumptious meal.
- In a Microwave-Safe Bowl heat oil for 1 minute @ MW high. Add cumin and Cook @ High for 30 seconds. Next add onions and green chili, and cook at high for 2 minutes, stirring once in between. That will give-out a very nice aroma.
- Add Capsicums and Cook @ high for 3 minutes, Stirring for every 1 minute. Next Add tomatoes and spices, cook @ high for 5 minutes. Stirring in-between. By this time, tomatoes must have cooked very well or else cook for 2 more minutes @ high.
- Next add paneer and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring every minute. Finally add kasuri methi and cook for another 1 minute. Garnish with Fresh Coriander and Serve hot with roti’s.
Do check out other delicious sides for Roti
Bhindi-Paneer, another dry subzi, soft bhindi/okra and paneer, sauteed with simple spices. Served warm with roti’s.
Srilankan Pol Roti, whole wheat bread, kneaded with coconut and spices to make an aromatic bread.
Peanut masala stuffed paratha, a mildly spiced masala paratha. the yummy peanut masala adds a nice zing to the normal wheat roti.
Bajra-aloo roti, hariyanvi special, earthy bajra flour kneaded with potatoes and spices for a soft and finger-licking bread.