Venpongal, Whenever amma makes them for breakfast, we use to hog them and sleep the whole day. Nobody would bother to getup and ask for Lunch!!!! Our Maid would immediately guess that the day’s breakfast was Pongal, Coz, the whole house would be dozing and dreaming in their own World’s!!!! Childhood days are Wonderful, We never realize that time, we won’t get them back and will one day long for them, so bad!!!! i really miss being with my Brother and Sister in our Once-Owned Wallajahpet(near Vellore/Ranipet) Home. Its an Individual House, in 1/2 Ground with Coconut Trees all around, Different Varieties of Chembaruthi(Hibiscus) and rose Flower all around in the garden. My Brother used to Drink Fresh Coconut Water Daily from the trees. My Paati used to go around the flower-trees daily and pluck all the flowers and Make Garland out of it for the Daily Pooja!!!! My Dad will water all the trees daily with an Long Hose-Pipe that can reach every end of the house. We had to Sell that house and settle down in chennai, as we all were working in Chennai. I really felt that i didnt have enough hands to Give that home a Real Big Hug while leaving. Later heard from our neighbours there, that the new owner removed all the flowering plants and the whole house now looks like a barren-land !!!! Time Moves on, We are all well-settled now, Mom and Dad are happy Grand-parents, Then too, blink of an eye moment we sometimes think about those Good old Days!!!
Nothing Stays the Same the Next day. So, Lets Enjoy the Moment!!! Seize the Day and Live Each and Every Moment!!! Let’s Not Worry about what can be Changed/Corrected and What Cannot be Changed/Corrected need not be worried at all. Happy Weekend Guys, lets enjoy the weekend with Hot Venpongal!!!!!
1 cup Raw Rice
1/2 cup Moongdal
1 Green Chilli
1 cup Low-Milk
2 Cups Water
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil/ghee
1 tsp Pepper Powder
1 tsp cumin Seeds
1 tsp Grated ginger
2-3Springs of Curry leaves
1 tbsp ghee
Few Broken Cashewnuts/Almonds
- Pressure Cook Rice and Dal together with Milk and Water and Green Chilli.
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai, add Curry leaves and Cumin Seeds.
- When the cumin seeds change color, add Pepper Powder and Grated ginger.Saute in for a second.
- Next add the Cooked Rice-Dal Mixture. The Mixture will be dry at this time. add 1/2 cup of water-milk mixture to this and add Salt and mix well.
- Let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Take it off the stove.
- Heat a little ghee in a Pan, add broken cashew/almond, roast them a minute and add this to Venpongal. we always prefer sliced almonds to cashewnuts.
- Drizzle some ghee on top and Serve Warm with some Chutney or Sambhar.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#10