For the Last day of Group 1 Blogging Marathon#15, i post a Dinner Thali. Chunky Pan-roasted Paneer/Cottage Cheese, Dunked in Palak/Spinach Gravy as an Accompaniment to Wholemeal Roti’s made using the Whey drained from Paneer. Dairy whey remaining from home-made cheese-making has many uses. It is a flour conditioner and can be substituted for milk in most baked good recipes that require milk (bread, pancakes, muffins, etc). Whey is also good to add protein to breakfast smoothies. Info courtesy : WIKI
Dinner Thali Menu Jeera /Cumin Rice, Bhindi/Okra Masala, Palak Paneer, Sabut Masoor Dal/Whole Masoor Dal and Wholemeal Flour Roti’s. Dessert Store-bought London Dairy Ice-Cream
Bhindi Masala/Okra Masala, A tasty, flavorsome combination of Pan-Fried Okra’s mixed with Tomato-onion Masala. Recipe coming up Next week. Sabut Masoor Dal, a tasty yet simple Masoor Dal ki Subzi. Recipe coming up next week.
Ingredients for Wholemeal Flour Roti’s
1 Cup Whole Meal flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
Whey Water or normal Water as requireed
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Take both the flour and salt in a large bowl. Add Oil, Whey/Normal Water little by little and Knead well to make a Soft Pilable dough. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into balls. Roll them into Thin Disc and Cook both sides on a Hot Tawa.
- Serve Hot with your favorite Side-Dish.
Ingredient for Palak Paneer
2 Cups Home-made Paneer/Cottage Cheese (cut into cubes)
3 Medium-Sized bunches of palak (about 3-4 cups when pureed)
1/4 Cup onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic
a small piece of ginger
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 Cup Tomato Puree (i used store-bought)
1/4 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
Cream for Garnishing (Optional)
- Blanch the spinach in a big vessel of Boiling Water. Drain, wash with cold water and blend to a smooth puree
- In a non-stick pan, add a tbsp of oil and fry the Paneer/Cottage Cheese until golden brown. Remove and drain on a Kitchen towel.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining oil, add onions and saute till they turn translucent. Add Ginger, garlic, green cilies and turmeric powder and saute again for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato puree and saute until oil separates.
- Add the spinach puree, garam masala, salt and a cup of water and bring to boil. Add Fried Paneer, mix well and let it sit on the stove for a minute or two, then take it off the stove. Garnish with little cream and Serve Hot with Roti’s.
If using Frozen Paneer, Soak them in Hot water and make them soft before pan-frying them.
Sending this Indian Thali Mela, Happening @ Cooking 4 all Seasons, Event by Srivalli