Day 3 of Blogging marathon, it is another Sweet Recipe. Red Pumpkin Kheer, My Mom made this kheer during my last vacation in Chennai. We didn’t feel the taste of the vegetable in the Payasam/Kheer. My in-laws, never use red-pumpkin as they don’t like the taste of it, but they loved the Payasam/Kheer and My Father-in-law kept saying it tastes like Badam Kheer. This Payasam/Kheer was part of the Festive Thali.
1/2 Kg Red pumpkin
3 Cups of Milk (i used low-fat)
few strands of Saffron soaked in a tbsp of warm milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 tbsp roasted almond flakes for garnishing
- Peel the Pumpkin shell, remove the seeds and cut them into cubes.
- In a Pan, take one and half cup of milk and the pumpkin cubes and let it boil. Reduce the flame to medium and cook until the pumpkin are soft.
- Let it cool. Take this in a blender and Blend it smooth.
- Add the remaining milk to this and take it to stove again. Add sugar and soaked saffron strands and let this cook in a slow flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Add Roasted almond flakes and take it off the stove and Serve Warm.