Baid Alqata or Salouq is an Arabic dessert. They are small pieces of bread, stuffed with delicious Walnut or Date-Walnut Filling. This Recipe is adapted from Arabic Bites. I have experimented with the Filling here. Instead of the traditional Walnut/Date-Walnut Filling, i have used Dark Chocolate and Coconut Flakes along with Walnuts. The Taste was amazing, the freshness of Cardamom in every bite makes it even more mesmerizing.
3/4 Cup All Purpose flour.
1/2 tsp baking powder.
1/4 tsp ground cardamom.
2 tbsp sugar.
1 Tablespoons oil.
1/4 cup low fat milk.
3 tbsp Walnuts, chopped.
1 tbsp Sugar
3 tbsp Sweetened Coconut Flakes
4 squares of Lindt Dark Chocolate (85% cocoa)
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom.
Pinch of saffron
1 tbsp of Milk
- Preheat the Oven to 180C. Keep a baking tray ready with Parchment Paper lined.
- Take all the ingredients for the dough in a bowl. Knead for 3-5 minutes. Let the Dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in another bowl, mix all the ingredients given under filling.
- Divide the dough into 10 portions. Roll and Flatten them inbetween your palms to a disc, Place a tsp of Filling inside and Roll it again to form a ball. Repeat the same with the rest of the dough.
- The original recipe calls for making/Poking small holes on top of the bread with a special tool, since i didn’t have one, i made pinched the bread using Fork.
- Place prepared balls on the baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top browns.
- Take it out of the Oven, let it cool for 10 minutes.Dust it with Castor Sugar and Serve Warm.
- Since i felt the bread is Sweet enough, we enjoyed it Warm, as such.
- Though My kiddo preferred with Litle Chocolate-Peanut Sauce Drizzled on top!!!! tempting isn’t???
Sending this to Kids Delight – What kids Love for Summer hosted by Smitha, an Event by Srivalli