A lamington is a sponge cake of Australian origin in the shape of a cuboid, coated in a layer of traditionally chocolate icing then desiccated coconut. For this Month’s Baking Eggless Challenge, Gayathri challenged us to bake an Eggless Version of these Delicious Lamingtions from David Lebovitz’s Blog.
For the Sponge Cake, i used yogurt as the egg replacement and got a Spongy, fluffy cake. This coated with Home-made chocolate sauce and Dessicated Coconut, the aroma was mesmerizing!!!! Each and every bite was a delight.
1 -1/2 Cups All-purpose flour/Maida
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1-1/4 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
Salt a pinch
1 Cup Thick curd
1/2 Cup Cooking oil
2 tsp Vanilla extract
100gm Dark Chocolate, i used Lindt 85% cocoa
100 gm Milk Chocolate. I used Cardbury’s Diary Milk, hazelnuts
50gm or half a stick of butter
3 tbsp of Cocoa
1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 Cup Milk
2 Cups of Dessicated Coconut
For Sponge Cake
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease a Loaf pan with oil or cooking spray and set aside. i used a 10″ Square pan.
- In a bowl, mix the curd and sugar till the sugar dissolves completely. Add baking powder and baking soda into the curd mixture. Mix well and set aside for 2-3 minutes. The curd will turn frothy and start rising.
- Sieve the flour thrice and set aside. Add the oil and vanilla essence to the curd mixture. Stir gently.
- Fold in the flour. Dont stir vigorously.
- Pour the batter into the readied Pan and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 160C and bake for another 30 minutes or unitl toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Heat a big pan with water.In another large bowl, take butter and the chocolates. Place the bowl over the water pan.
- The Butter and chocolates will start melting, keep stirring.
- Add cocoa to this and stir well. Once it forms a smooth mixture. take it off the stove.
- Add Sugar and milk and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Cut the Cake into 12-15 pieces. Slice each piece horizontally to two pieces.
- Sandwich each Slice with generous Chocolate Sauce, or in other words Apply Generous amount of chocolate sauce on each slice and close with another slice. Repeat this with all the cake slices.
- Once done, Dip Each Slice into the Chocolate Sauce and Roll it on Dessicated Coconut. Repeat this with all the chocolate sandwiched slices.
- Refrigerate for 1 or two hours and Serve.
- I Made small Balls out of last few slices of the cake and dipped them in Chocolate sauce and rolled in Dessicated Coconut.My Kiddo loved those Balls very much.