Kuttu loves dal as sides for his morning breakfast. He loves Crispy Butter-toasted bread without any sides, but for rest he needs side-dish. Dosa – Sambar, Poori/Roti with Dal. Whenever, i keep him Roti/Poori for breakfast, He will ask me what have you kept as side-dish, paruppu sambhar or thakkali sambhar???? which means dal or tomato chutney??? For him specifically, i started mixing n matching dal and veggies in pressure cooker. These recipes are real life-savers. just pressure cook and do tadka/tempering, tadahhh a delicious side-dish ready in minutes.
2 Large Potatoes
1 Cup Moong Dal
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/4 tsp Red Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
2 Cloves of garlic, Finely Chopped (optional)
1 tsp of Shredded Ginger
a handful of Coriander leves
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Groundnut Oil/Peanut oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
2-3 Red Chilies, I used Long Variety
hing a pinch
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Wash and Soak Moong Dal for 5 minutes in plain water. Wash, Peel, and Chop Potatoes into Big Cubes.
- Take Moong dal in a Pressure Pan, add the Chopped potatoes, Garlic . Add 2 Cups of Water, turmeric and Salt. When it starts boiling, add red chili powder and coriander powder. Close the lid and Pressure Cook for 4 Whistles.
- When the Pressure releases, remove the lid and roughly mash the Mixture.
- In a pan, heat oil given under tempering, Splutter mustard seeds, add hing, chilies, curry leaves and pour the Sizzling tempering over the Potato-Dal and Mix well.
- Garnish with shredded ginger and coriander leaves and Serve Hot with Poori’s/Roti’s.
Sending this to Bon Vivant #11 – Healthy Appetite, happening @Sumee’s place