The Groovy Gourmets, a group of super enthu bloggers, trying to cook something unusual every month. This month, Anusha of Tomato Blues asked us to put a Burger together but with a patty that is not Potato-peas!!! These days, i m having lot of Ragi-based breakfast, so thought of making a patty with ragi. That very morning, i soaked poha for breakfast for rest of the family, but added too much water, it became mashed poha!!! So made a patty with the mashed poha and some veggies added. It came out yum and paired with some Cumin-curry leaves Buttermilk, it was a filling meal!!!
For the Patties
1.5 Cups of poha/Flattened Rice flakes
1/4 Cup of Ragi Flour
3 tbps of Bread Crumbs
1 Large Capiscum
1 Large Onion
1 Medium Sized Tomato
3 cloves of garlic
a small piece of ginger
handful of curry leaves
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Pav Bhaji Masala
1/4 Cup Oil for Shallow frying the Patties
Salt to taste
1 tps of oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
hing and turmeric, each a pinch
6 nos Burger buns
1/2 cup Carrot Chutney for the spread
6 nos Cheese slices
1 tsp pepper
Some tooth-picks to hold the burger
- Take Poha/Rice Flakes in a Sieve/colander and show it under running water for few seconds for the poha to get soft. Alternatively you can even soak it in water for 2-3 minutes and drain the excess water.
- Wash all the veggies. Peel and chop ginger fine. Chop Onion, garlic and capsicum into thin slices. Chop Tomato into small cubes.
- In a Pan/Kadai, Heat 1 tsp of oil, splutter mustard seeds, add hing and turmeric. Next add chopped onion, garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Saute until onions are translucent.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and add red chilli powder, coriander powder, pav bhaji masala, salt and 1/4 cup of water. Let this cook until tomatoes become soft and until the mixture is almost dry.
- Now add the chopped Capsicums and cover and cook for 8-10 minutes. After the said time, remove the lid, mix well. Add the soft poha, Mix well. Let it be on the stove for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Let it cool.
- When it is warm enough to handle, transfer half the contents of it onto a flat plate, add 2 tbsp of ragi flour to it and bring it together as a soft ball. It might be little sticky, if so, wet your hands with water and do this, will be easy to handle the dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 Portions. Each will be the size of a tennis ball.
- Flatten the ball to make a patty, roll the patty over the bread crumbs. Repeat for all the 6 balls. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. While the first batch is refrigerating, do the same with the leftover Poha mixture, make 6 balls out of the second batch and patties, refrigerate them too.
- Remove the first batch of patties from the refrigerator, Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a Large Pan, when the oil is hot enough, slide 3 patties into it. Cook in slow flame. Flip the patties after 5 minutes.
- Cook until crisp and golden brown on both sides. Remove using Slotted spoon and drain excess oil on kitchen towel. Repeat the same with rest of the patties.
- To Assemble the Burgers, Cut the burger buns in the middle, Spread a tsp of carrot chutney on top, place a patty, cover with a slice of cheese, sprinkle a pinch of pepper, close it with the other half of the bun. Stick a tooth-pick in the middle for the bun to hold.
- Serve it with a glass of Spiced Buttermilk to wash it down. Absolute Desi!!!
Sending this to Lets Brunch on Sunday’s