Kheer/Payasam is the easiest dish that can be prepared using a pressure cooker. So, for the final day of the BM i m here with a colorful payasam/kheer using beetroot. Beetroot takes a little more time to cook, so making this in pressure cooker makes it much easier. Beets gives an awesome color to this kheer. A Mild Peachy or pinky color makes it a treat to your eyes too.
Kuttu loved this kheer, that is more rewarding to me!!! yes, he doesn’t prefer anything pink, immediately will ask “Pink is for girls?, Can you make something in Blue? “. That Guy, saw me clicking pics and came near and asked whether he can taste, tried it and had one shot-glass full of kheer and said will have one more with his appa after dinner. It was like hearing Symphony Orchestra playing especially for me!!!!
1/2 cup shredded beetroot/beets, tightly packed
2 cups full fat milk
6 tbsp condensed milk (or) 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cardamom powder
4-5 cashew nuts
Few almond silvers for garnishing
2 tsp ghee
- In a pressure cooker, add ghee, when it becomes hot, add the shredded beets to it along with cashew nuts and saute for 3-5 minutes in a medium flame.
- Next add milk to it, mix well and close the lid of thw cooker, put the whistle on. Let it cook for 4 whistles in a medium flame.
- Let it cool and the pressure release on its own. Open tbe lid, using a hand blender blend the cooed beets with milk to a smooth liquid.
- Take it back to the stove, add condensed milk or sugar and cardamom powder, mix well.
- Let it sit on the stove until it becomes frothy, takes about 5 – 8 minutes in a medium flame.
- Stir constantly during that time and scrape down the sides too. Garnish with almond silvers and serve warm.