So, what are we tasting from Land of Buddha today? Chatamari, served with Pineko golbheda achar or simply Tomato achar.
Chatamari, refered as the Nepali pizza, is a traditional food of Newari people. It is topped with minced meat and eggs. Since we don’t eat meat or eggs, i tried to top it up with mixed vegetable curry and served with spicy nepali style tomato pickle.
There were 2 versions of this dish, one made with rice flour and another by sokaing rice and dal together and grinding it to make the crepes. I chose the later one and served it for dinner yesterday and for my breakfast today. It was a filling breakfast and that tomato achar is not be missed, as it adds a super zing to the dish.
Source: Food, pleasure & health
- Wash Rice and dal separately with water and soak together for 8 hours.
- After the soaking time, drain the water well and take it in a mixer and grind it to a smooth batter. I used around 1/4 cup of water while grinding.
- Transfer the batter to another vessel, if it is very thick, add another 1/4 cup of water. I added that much to get a pourable consistency batter. Let the batter rest till the filling is ready.
- Peel and boil potatoes until soft. I used my Microwave’s Auto-cook menu to cook the potatoes. Once done, drain and cool.
- Chop onion finely, heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, splutter mustard seeds, add cumin, hing and turmeric powder. Add chopped onions and saute till translucent. Next add green peas and frozen veggies and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Next add cooked potatoes, followed by red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well and using a potato masher, mash it all together.
- Let this cook in a simmer flame, covered, for another 8-10 minutes. If you feel the masala’s are burning, just sprinkle water 2 or 3 times to avoid that. Do not add excess water, coz we need a dry curry to spread on our chatamari.
- Once done, remove it from flame and keep it covered until use.
- Heat a pan for making the crepes, i used my cast-iron pan. Prep the pan, by smearing a tsp oil on it and wiping it well with a paper towel.
- Now take a ladle full of batter, pour it in the center, and spread it in a circular motion in the pan to make a pancake. Take care not to make it paper-thin or brick thick.
- Let it cook in a medium flame. Cook the chatamari only on one side. it took around 1 minute for the top to dry.
- Now spread 2 tbsp of filling on top of the chatamari, and let it sit for another 2 or 3 seconds. Remove the chatamari to another plate and serve it topped with pineko golbheda achar or simply tomato chutney.
- Do not miss the chutney, that is what makes this Nepali pizza, irresistible!!!