Another year of Blogging Marathon starts from today. Actually it started a week before, but i m doing only 2 weeks this time. I will be posting Arabic cuisine dishes this week. Being in this part of the world, i have tasted very less of their cuisine. Thanks to our Mega BM, i have started cooking Arabic food at home. Hummus, in Arabic means “chickpeas”, the star ingredient of this dip. A very simple condiment but with the other ingredients added, it makes one flavorsome dip or spread almost for any bread/chips/crackers.
I made them during the September Mega BM, Around the world in 30 days, to pair it with Jordan Shrak bread. Actually many of the Arabic breads i made that time, was paired with either this hummus or Labneh/curd cheese. One of the main ingredient is tahini or sesame sauce, which i didn’t have in hand, so i have used toasted sesame seeds instead. So, if you have tahini in hand use it.
Source : thekitchn
2 Cups Cooked Chickpeas or 1 can of chickpeas
3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp tahini or 3 tbsp roasted white sesame seeds (i used sesame seeds)
juice of half a lemon
1 clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly pounded black pepper
- I always have cooked chickpeas in my freezer, i used it for the hummus, you can even use canned chickpeas, in case using canned chickpeas, then drain and rinse the chickpeas under cool running water.
- Combine the chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper in the bowl of the food processor or blender.Scrape the sides of the food processor bowl and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings according to your taste. Like if you feel like adding extra pepper or lemon juice. If the hummus is a bit stiff, add a tbsp of olive oil and process to make it smooth and creamier.
- Transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and serve along with Pita bread, chips or with anything that needs a dip. This can be used as a spread for your sandwich too. Tastes absolutely yumm!!!!
- Leftover hummus can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for upto a week.