Ingredients (serves 3)
3/4 Cup Kuthiraivali/Barnyard Millet/Jhangora/Samo
3 tbsp Moong dal
3/4 Cup jaggery
1/2 tsp cardamom powder
1/ 4 Cup freshly shredded coconut
1 Cup Milk
2 cups water
2 tbsp ghee
3 tbsp broken cashewnuts, roasted in ghee
- Take jaggery in pan, add about 1/4 cup water and mix well. Cook in a medium flame for the jaggery to melt. Strain and keep aside until use. This is to remove the impurities in the jaggery, if you know the jaggery is organic and clean, then use it as such in the recipe.
- In a hard-bottom, wide pan, take the millet and the dal together and dry roast it in a medium flame until they turn golden. Take care not to burn the ingredients. while the dal turn golden, the millet will turn a bit crisp.
- Now to this roasted millet-dal mixture, add milk and water, cook in a medium flame for about 10-12 minutes. Millets cook very fast, so do not leave it unattended. Around the said time, millet would have absorbed all the liquid and cooked soft.
- To this cooked mixture, add the strained jaggery water and mix well. Add coconut,ghee and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Let this again cook in a medium flame until the liquid is absorbed. Take it off the stove, add roasted cashewnuts and mix well. Serve warm along with 7-Kari Kootu