The second recipe on the cheese series is a simple but tasty spring roll with melting gooey cheese when you take a bite. I have used potatoes in the recipe, you can even use a cooked carrot stick or cooked french beans. I have kept the flavors simple with chili and coriander powder, so there is no mess while rolling the spring rolls.
Cooking part is even more easy, i tried to cook them on my cast iron tava, with little less than tsp of oil on each side. They came out evenly crisp as they were deep fried.
6 nos Spring roll Pastry sheets
6 nos Cheddar cheese slices
1 no potato
2 tbsp freshly pound pepper powder
2 tbsp coriander powder
2-3 tbsp oil for pan frying the rolls
1 tbsp App Purpose four + 2-3 tbsp water to seal the edges of the spring roll pastry.
- Wash and peel the potato. Cut them into thick strips, like that of a french fries, but a bit thick. Cook them until fork tender. They shouldn’t turn mushy. Drain the execess water and let the potatoes dry on a paper towel.
- Keep the spring roll pastry thawed. Normally it is stored in the freezer, i just remove it to the fridge section the day i m using it for an hour or so. Then keep it outside for 30 minutes before rolling it.
- Prepare paste by mixing all purpose flour and water. Now to make the spring rolls, Place the pastry in a diamond shape, place a cheese slice in the middle and keep a potato stick on the cheese slice.
- Now start rolling the wrapper tightly, from your end. fold the right and left hand corners of the wrapper inside and seal the edges using the flour-water mix.
- Now fold the leftover end of the spring roll wrapper and seal it with the flour-water mix. Repeat the process with rest of the wrappers. These wrappers can be frozen for later use or can be made ahead for a party.
- Now heat a pan, Add a tbsp of oil to the pan and place 3 spring rolls on the hot pan, let them cook in a low flame, until golden brown, on all sides.
- I fried them on my cast iron pan too, with just a tsp of oil on either sides, they came out super crisp. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain it on a kitchen towel. Serve them hot with some tomato ketchup.