Apart from the yeast, this also has baking soda, though i tried my level best to know what it does, i failed to find. To my knowledge ,it is what giving this bread a crumbly crunchy crust, if you know the science better, do share!! 🙂 But for know, lets eat!
Source : KAF
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.Combine the milk, water,in a separate, microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for 30 seconds. Add oil to this warm liquid. Stir well, the liquid will feel quite hot (hotter than lukewarm), but not so hot that it would be uncomfortable as bath water.
- Pour the hot liquid over the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl. Mix it well with a spatula. The dough will be very soft. Lightly grease an 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pan, i used a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Sprinkle the bottom and sides with cornmeal.
- Scoop the soft dough into the pan, leveling it in the pan as much as possible. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise till it’s just barely crowned over the rim of the pan. I just left it for 45 minutes covered with a tea towel inside my oven.
- During the last 10 minutes of the rise, preheat your oven to 200C. Bake the bread for 22 to 27 minutes, till it’s golden brown. If using an thermometer to check the doneness of the bread, then its interior temperature should read 190°F.
- Remove the bread from the oven, and after 5 minutes turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool. Let the bread cool completely before slicing.