In that genre, today i give you Balaeda’s. Baleadas are one of Honduras’s most original and popular foods. A baleada is a wheat flour tortilla, often quite thick, folded in half and filled with mashed fried beans.There are different kinds of baleada according to the ingredients chosen by the customer or the region of Honduras.
The filling can be very versatile, you can stuff anything you like into it and make a delicious meal. I made a wheat flour tortilla and for the stuffing made a red-kidney bean puree, something like hummus and a lip-smacking capscicum masala to go with it. It was a complete meal in all aspect, bread, spread and veggies all in one fold.
- Wash and slice the capsicums thinly. Chop the onions and tomatoes. Heat oil in a pan, add onions and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, chili and pepper powder. Let the tomatoes cook until soft. Add chopped capsicums, salt and sprinkle water, cover and cook for 10 minutes in a simmer flame.
- After 10 minutes, take the cover and let it cook for another 2 minutes, take it off the flame. Let it cool, keep aside until use.
- Pressure cook the kidney beans for 3 whistles or you can even cook it in a microwave for 15 minutes. Drain the water. In a sauce pan, heat oil, add chopped onion and garlic, saute until translucent.
- Add the cooked beans and saute for a minute. Add cream/milk and pepper powder to this and take it off the flame. Let it cool completely.
- Add salt and puree it using a hand blender. Keep aside until use.
- I kneaded the dough using a food processor, it can also be kneaded by hand. Take the flour, salt, baking powder together in the processor bowl. Run at a low speed for the contents to mix well.
- Slowly add warm water followed by oil and knead a smooth,soft, pliable dough. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Divide the dough into 8 portions.
- Clean your kneading surface well, sprinkle it generously with flour. Take one portion of dough, keeping the rest covered. Roll out the dough into a large, thin circle.
- Heat a skillet, it should be hot, place the rolled out dough on the hot skillet and turn quickly after 10 seconds. flip and cook both sides quickly until brown spots appear on top.
- Do not cook the tortilla for long, it will turn hard. To get a soft tortilla, keep the griddle hot, flip and cook every 10 seconds. Do not cook the tortilla for more than a minute.
- Keep the cooked tortilla covered in a tea towel. Repeat the same with rest of the dough.
- Take a tortilla, spread a tbsp of red kidney bean puree, top it with capsicum masala, spread a generous sprinkle of cheddar cheese. Fold and serve.
- They taste better, when served hot. So, better keep the spreads ready and have a helping hand in the kitchen to serve as you cook the tortilla.