I have heard watermelon rind chutney, kootu, pickles too, but dosa, i was amazed. This happened with no big search, as i went thru some blogs with authentic kannada recipes, i got this gem. yet another No ferment, grind and pour addition to my dosa menu. This dosa has to be served hot, straight from the tava. So, not good for lunch boxes. Serve it hot with a spicy chutney and enjoy an amazing breakfast.
Source : here
- Wash and soak rice in water for 2-3 hours. After the soaking time, drain the water, take the rice along with watermelon rind, coconut, chilies, curry leaves and ginger. Grind it to a smooth batter. I used my mixer and ground the batter in batches.
- I didn’t add any water to the batter while grinding, the watermelon rind has enough water to help in grinding. After grinding, remove the batter to a clean vessel. Let the batter sit for 15 minutes.
- Add chopped onion, salt, cumin seeds and ginger to the batter and give it a good stir.
- To make the dosa, heat a tava/pan, add a tsp of oil to the tava when it is hot, wipe it well with a tissue or a cloth. Pour a ladle of batter in the center, spread a little, but, not too thin. Dot the edges with gingely oil,make a hole in the center and add lil oil there too. Cover and cook for a minute. Flip the dosa, and cook the other side for another minute.
- Remove the dosa on toa serving plate, serve hot along with any chutney of your choice. I served it with Karivebu soppina chutney/curry leaves chutney