Ingredients (serves 4)
4 nos pears
1 litre of water
12 nos cardamom pods, crushed
5 nos cloves
1 tsp saffron strands
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean cut and paste scrapped
1 cup sugar
Vanilla Ice-cream or chocolate chip ice-cream for serving
- Wash and peel the pears, keep the stem intact. If possible core the pears. I used my melon-baller and cored it from back.
- Take water in a pan, that can hold 1 litre of water and also immerse the pears well. I used my pressure pan. Add the peeled and cored pears, crushed cardamom, cloves, saffron strands and sugar. Let it cook in medium flame,covered.
- It took around 45 minutes – 1 hour. Take it off the stove. Let the pears sit in the spiced and sweetened water overnight refrigerated or at-least a minimum of 6 hours for better infusion of flavors.
- Take out a cup of poached liquid, take it to stove and reduce it to 1/2 cup.
- Just before serving, remove a pear from the poached liquid, place it on the serving plate, drizzle the saffron glaze generously, serve it along with a scoop of ice-cream.