Wishing you all a beautiful New Year. This is a delayed post, originally planned for last week of December. I was playing low, with a bad back, couldn’t sit in the lappy for more time. And with 3 boys at home, i simply couldn’t steal time for myself.
This is another simple bread, with puff pastry sheets. I saw a video on FB, i dont remember the page, it is of a brand, promoting their pastry sheets. Loved the simple idea, so i made it last week, for the hungry mouths at home. Thank god, i made 2 breads. One as a star and other a vaguely shaped like Fougasse. I served them the Fougasse, they licked the plate clean! The pastry is sweetened with orange juice infused sugar syrup, which heigtens the taste even more. This can be baked a day or two ahead, and can be warmed before serving, add the sugar syrup just before serving. A simple and pretty bake for parties and get-togethers. Try and let me know how you liked it.
2 puff pastry sheets
4 tbsp each Almonds, cashewnuts, pistachios
2-3 pods of cardamom
Milk to brush on tops
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of water
4-5 pods of cardamom, crushed
2 nos cloves
juice of half an orange (just for the zing)
- Take all the nuts, along with cardamom and cloves in a mixer and pulse it to get a coarse powder.Remove the puff pastry sheets, and let it thaw for 30 minutes on the kitchen counter.
- Dust your work surface well with flour. Roll puff pastry sheets a bit, and use a plate (8 inches diameter) to cut out 2 round shapes. I just shaped the leftover dough like a fougasse and fed my family, so they can spare the star for the clicks next day, brilliant, isn’t?😉
- Place one round-cut pastry sheet on a well greased baking pan, brush the sheet with butter and spread nuts powder generously on it. Now place the other sheet on top of the nuts and close.
- Now comes the fun part of cut and braid. Place a small dessert bowl(roughly 1.5 inches in diameter), in the center and cut the sheet into quarters from the bowl. Now cut each quarter into 3 parts.
- Starting from any point, twist two strings in the opposite direction to form a ripple and press the edges together to seal like a petal.
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Brush the top of the bread with some milk and sprinkle some nuts powder on top. Bake it for about 20-22 minutes until the top turns golden brown.
- While the bread is baking , make the sugar syrup. Take everything, except orange juice, in a sauce pan, let it boil until sugar dissolves completely, Take it off the stove. Add orange juice and let it cool.
- Remove the star. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes. Pour the sugar syrup on top and serve it warm. Just see them dissappear, my people even drank the sugar syrup, like coffee!!!