Kalkandu Pongal, this has been in my to-do list for a long time now. I have made it once, but couldn’t click pictures and make it to the blog. So, when valli announced the theme of Festive dishes, i immediately decided to make this long-waited delicacy for the theme. I made it today afternoon, felt so good to make a sweet, on a normal day. During festivities, with a grand feast, we normally tend to eat less and that too,if it is us, who stand near the stove and make them all, i usually feel full by the time i finish pooja and sit for lunch. So, when i made this today and tasted it hot straight from the pan, i felt so good!!! It is pretty easy dish, the same as sarkarai pongal, i have added little chana dal also, you can avoid and use only moong dal also.
1/2 cup Raw rice
2 tbsp moong dal
2 tbsp chana dal
1 cup milk
1.5 cups of water
1/2 cup rock sugar
4 nos cardamom pods
1 no clove
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp broken cashew-nuts
1 tbsp raisin
A collection of 25 yumm pongal deliciacies along with this yumm pongal can be found here @Whiskaffair
- Take rice and dal together and wash it well with running water. I know they normally dry roast the rice, but since these days, it goes through various stages of processing, i didn’t want to take risk, so washed the rice, instead of dry roasting.
- Take the washed rice and dal in a pressure pan, add 1 cup of milk and 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. I didn’t cook directly in the pressure cooker, this will cause the liquid to squirt out thru the whistle, so place the rice and dal in a separate vessel and place it in the pressure cooker.
- While the rice is cooking, take rock sugar along with cardamom pods and cloves in a mixie and powder it well.
- Let the pressure release on its own. Heat a pan, add the cooked rice and dal to it and add the powdered sugar candy and mix well. The mixture will release water, add 2 tbsp of ghee to it and mix well. Let it cook until the sugar is absorbed well and the mixture thickens.
- Be careful and be near the stove, stir frequently. After 10-12 minutes, take it off the stove. Roast the cashewnuts and raisin in ghee and add it to the pongal. Serve warm.