That is the main reason i chose this soup, when i checked the recipe, there was no heat in the recipe, i was a little skeptical,whether it will be good just with oregano and fresh herbs. But trust me, it tastes amazing.
The addition of lime juice and a dash of pepper takes the soup to another level. Add herbs at the end to enjoy the freshness.
I served this soup and Bulgur salad for dinner last week and we enjoyed both, what we missed was a slice of crusty bread, if you can pair with some delicious toast then it will be a complete meal.
Inspired from The Greek Vegan
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
1 cup cooked chickpeas (i used canned chickpeas)
2 sticks of celery
1 medium-sized carrot (chopped celery and carrots were about 1.5 cups)
1 medium-sized onion
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander leaves
juice of a lime
Pepper and salt, to taste
2 tsp oil
To thicken the soup
1 tsp of flour mixed with 2-3 tbsp of soup liquid
- If using dried chickpeas, then soak it for atleast 6-8 hours and cook it with double the amount of water until soft. Since i used canned chickpeas, i skipped the step. If using canned like me, then drain the liquid, wash the chickpeas in running water and set aside.
- Now let us the get the veggies ready, chop the onions fine, chop celery and carrots into small cubes or thin strips.
- Heat a sauce-pan with oil, add chopped onions, bay leaf to it. Saute until onions get translucent. Next add chopped celery and carrots. Add 1/4 cup of water and let this cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add drained chickpeas to this and 2 cups of water. Add salt and oregano and let it come to boil and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Check the consistency of the soup, it is generally a bit runny, if you prefer it to be little thick, then mix flour and soup liquid and make a slurry and add this in thin stream to the soup,mix well and let it cook for another 8-10 minutes.
- Before removing from heat, add chopped herbs, lime juice to the soup, take it off and let it sit for 5 minutes for the herbs to mingle well. Serve it hot with a dash of pepper on top.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#76
Some more soup recipes for my kitchen
|Barley & Vegetable Soup|
|Creamy Carrot Soup|
|Ginger & Lemon Soup|