Callaloo doesn’t name sounds interesting when you read it? When i found that it is nothing but our very own amarnath leaves, i decided i m trying a recipe with this callaloo!
Since i m trying to avoid carbs and eat a little more protein, i was looking for a recipe that will fit in my meal plan without disturbing it. I loved this simple soup with greens and beans together that so complimented my meal and some warmth to my sore throat.
This soup can be served as part of a meal or as a meal itself. I would defintely suggest a thin bread along with it to soak in the liquid. With winter months ahead, this soup is definitely going to be on my meal plan. I might blend it smooth if serving for children, with a dollop of cream, sort of a bribe, to make them eat something healthy!
The original recipe, uses scotch bonnet peppers and lot of thyme and parsley. But i have used regular indian green chili and instead of thyme and parsley i settled for coriander leaves. I have used coconut oil for sauteing the veggies here, and strongly recommend using it, as it gives an amazing flavor to the soup. Do try and let me know how you enjoyed it!
Inspired from Carribean pot
1 cup chopped amarnath leaves/Callaloo leaves
2.5 cups of vegetable stock
1/3 cup of mixed beans, cooked (i have use chickpeas, black-eyed beans and white beans)
1/2 a sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
1 small potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 a carrot, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 no onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped fine
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 and 1/2 green chili, finely chopped
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly pounded
salt to taste
- Wash and prep all the vegetables as said above. In a large pan, heat coconut oil. When it is hot, add the chopped onions, garlic and green chilies to ti and saute until onions turn translucent.
- Next add the chopped potato, sweet poato, celery and carrots into it and saute for 2 minutes. Next add chopped amarnath leaves and mixed beans to it and saute well.
- To this now add vegetable broth, chopped coriander and salt. Cover and cook for about 12-15 minutes until the veggies are done.
- Check the consistency of the soup, i love mine to be little watery and chunks of veggies, if you prefer yours to be smooth, take a portion of the soup, blend it well with a stick blender and return it to the pot mix well.
- Add freshly pounded pepper, mix well, remove it from the stove and serve warm.