Land of the Caribbean is also famous for the coconuts, so after a flavorsome coconut milk soup yesterday, I wanted to bake something for us to enjoy during the weekend. While looking for some quick breads, this recipe with fresh coconut and coconut milk got my attention.
There were other versions of coconut bread, made with pineapple juice too. Since I had coconut milk ready at hand, i made the loaf with it. The flavor, while the loaf was baking in the oven, was totally awesome. The bread is a bit dense, but has got a great taste and flavor. It will be a great bread along with your tea or as a snack inbetween your meals.
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup freshly grated coconut
1 cup coconut milk
5 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tbsp egg replacer powder mixed with 2 tbsp water (I used bob’s red mill egg replacer )
- Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease a loaf tin and lay its bottom with parchment paper.
- In a wide bowl take flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon powder together. Whisk well to combine. Add sugar and grated coconut to this and mix.
- Make a well in the center add coconut milk, coconut oil and egg replacer. Using a electric beater combine to form a thick batter.
- Pour the prepared batter into greased baking tin. Bake in the preheated oven for an hour or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Take the tin out of the oven, let it sit for 5 minutes then remove it on to a wire rack, let it cool completely.