Cauliflower rice, my new found love. No, i m not on a paleo/Keto diet. I have been eating Low carbs for a long time now. I try to eat a variety of complex carbs like millets, quinoa, matta rice, parboiled rice etc. I felt like my body got used to the food i m eating, so wanted to give it a jolt by eating something totally new and at the same time healthy, that fits my eating style and lastly my budget. I have planned to eat atleast one meal of the day as zero-carbs. And now being a south-indian, who is used to idly/dosa/poha for breakie and rice, sambar and rasam for lunch, this decision is too tough. But i m trying, i cannot live without carbs, so trying to replace one meal, that will reduce my overall carb intake of the day.
I have tried cauliflower rice, sometimes back, when it was a craze, it is still a craze. But somehow, i didn’t like it and had to use up that batch into other gravies, so that awfully raw smell vanishes. This time, i read thru some blogs, websites that are so popular making this, finally checked our BM baking guru, +Gayathri Kumar blog for her cauliflower pongal and tried it again.
Loved the fluffy cauliflower that steamed so beautifully in the microwave. First day i made pongal with it and next day i made this yumm chinese style fried rice with the cauliflower rice. It was absoultely delicious and no i m not exaggerating the taste of it. It was really good, and i m not person who would eat nonsense just for the sake of diet! As one of my yoga buddy says, “Eating is Believing” you should eat this to believe it!
|Those chopsticks are gifted by +Vaishali , got to use them finally!!! 🙂|
I m quite regular at instagram and keep posting my daily banter in insta stories. This cauliflower chinese fried rice too made into my insta stories, the day i made it. One of my yoga buddy tried it the same day and sent me some pictures, i was so happy to see that somebody tried and they too liked it. It was a welcome change to a healthy diet.
300 grams cauliflower florets
1 onion, finely chopped
1/2 a capsicum, sliced thin
1/2 a carrot, sliced thin
1/4 cup of spring onions, chopped
2 green chilies, slited lengthwise
2 fat cloves of garlic, finely chopped
small piece of ginger, finely chopped
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato sauce , i used Tomato chili sauce
1 tsp freshly pounded pepper powder
salt to taste
fresh greens of spring onions for
1 tbsp oil, i used gingely oil
- Clean and cut the cauliflower florets. Using a grater, grate them fine. you can also use your food processor.
- Take the grated cauliflower in a microwave safe bowl, sprinkle water 2 or 3 times and microwave cook at power 80 for 8 minutes. This steam cooks the cauliflower soft. This step can be done on a stove-top/ in a steamer also.
- Heat a wide pan, add oil. When it is hot, add chopped onions,garlic, ginger, green chili and saute until the onions turn pink. Add chopped spring onions to this and saute for a minute.
- Now add the chopped capsicum and carrots to this and saute until they turn little crisp. To this add soy sauce and tomato chili sauce and saute in high for a minute.
- Now add the steamed cauliflower to this and mix well. Season with salt and pepper powder. Garnish with spring onions greens and take it off the stove. Serve it warm with side of your choice.I enjoyed it as such.