Idli batter as required
gingely oil for greasing the idly plates
For the stuffing
1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
1 capsicum, thinly sliced
1/2 a carrot, finely chopped
1/4 cup thinly sliced cabbage
1 medium sized tomato
1 green chili
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
a pinch of turmeric
3-4 curry leaves, torn into pieces
Do checkout the video on how to make Stuffed Idly
- Let us first make the filling. Heat a sauce pan, heat oil given under tempering, splutter mustard seeds, add asafoetida, and curry leaves. Next add chopped onions and green chili, saute until onions turn translucent
- Now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt and cook until tomatoes turn mushy. Now dump all the chopped veggies, add 1/4 cup of water and salt. Cover and cook until done.
- There should be no liquid in the filling. Even after cooking, if there is still liquid, cook without cover until all the liquid is absorbed. Let the filling cool.
- Now let us prepare the idly plates. Grease the idly plates with gingely oil, fill half the mould with idly batter, spoon 2-3 tsp of filling into each hole, now top it with another ladle of batter. Steam cook for 10-12 minutes. Once done, let it cool for 2-3 minutes, then unmould the idlies onto a serving plate.
- The idlies can be made in one single big plate also, if you make it one single plate, cut and pack as wedges. Pack them with a generous drizzle of gingely oil/ ghee with idly podi on top.