Thengai podi or coconut podi, is a rice mix powder made with lentils and coconut. Serve this podi with steaming hot rice for a comfort meal.
Every year, when i return from vacation, there is a standard list of things you will find in my luggage. Top of the list is navarathri return gifts and new dolls for navarathri . Apart from these, 2 set of podi’s are a must, one is thengai podi and other is paruppu podi.
This Spicy Coconut powder is my mothers specialty. She makes it during the last week of my travel, so it stays fresh when i return back to sharjah. The day i land here, i throw the podi’s in the freezer, so it stays fresh for me longer.
i love dry podi’s. They come handy on days you don’t feel like cooking, but want only home-cooked meal. Just make a pot of steaming hot rice, with some gingely oil and thengai podi mixed, your meal is sorted.
This year, i made a video of the recipe, so it will be handy for my channel too. So, here is the recipe of Spicy coconut podi, my amma style.
Here is the video of Thengai podi recipe
Thengai Podi/Coconut Spice Powder
- Fry pan/Kadai for roasting
- Indian Mixie for grinding into powder
- Coconut meat from one full coconut, freshly grated
- 1 cup chana dal/gram dal/Kadalai paruppu
- 1.5 cups urad dal/black gram dal/Uluntham paruppuu
- 15 nos red chilies if you want it more spicy add 3/4 more chilies
- a marble sized tamarind
- handful of curry leaves
- ½ tsp hing/asafoetida
- 2-3 tsp salt or as needed
- Keep all the ingredients ready on the table. First dry roast both the dals individually.
- Dry roast the chilies in the heat of the pan, or else they might burn. So, take care while roasting chilies.
- Transfer all the roasted ingredients to another clean plate.
- In the same pan, add 1 tsp of oil and add the freshly grated coconut and roast it until the moisture evaporates and the coconut becomes a bit dry.
- Finally roast the curry leaves until dry.
- Transfer the roasted coconut and the curry leaves to the same plate as rest of the ingredients to this now add asafoetida/hing, salt and tamarind.
- Let these roasted ingredients cool down well.
- Now in a mixer jar , take all the contents except the coconut and grind it to a coarse powder.Transfer this coarse powder to a flat plate.
- Now take equal amounts of coconut and ground coarse dal mix in the mixer and grind again for the dal and coconut to mix well.
- Take care not to grind continuously. Grind it in pulse motion, 4-5 pulses, remember the dal is already ground coarsely.
- Do this in batches, for the above said amount we did it 3 batches in the medium mixer jar of preeti mixie.
- Once done, transfer the podi to another clean vessel and give it a good mix.Let it sit and cool well. Transfer the thengai podi to air-tight container and enjoy it with steaming hot rice.
If you are looking for more dry podi recipes like this i have quite a few in my blog
Walnut Paruppu podi, a nutty and spicy rice mix powder
Horsegram and walnut spice powder, a tangy and nutty rice mix powder