Peanut masala paratha, a spicy flatbread stuffed with ground peanut masala.
Paratha, a flatbread stuffed with stuffing of your choice, some stuff it with veggies , some with meat. This peanut masala paratha, has roasted peanuts ground with simple spices to make it zingy.
When i made them today for our lunch, my elder one tasted them and asked whether i can pack this for his breakfast tomorrow and my lil one just enjoyed it with a cup of plain yogurt.
What is in the recipe
The recipe has basic roti dough made with whole wheat flour. I normally use water to make the dough, you can also use half milk/yogurt to make the dough.
The peanut masala has roasted peanuts, coriander seeds, flax seeds, chilies and tamarind. The tamarind gives a zingy taste, don’t miss it. Flax seeds are optional, but adds extra fiber so the dish. If you dont have flax seeds you can use sesame seeds.
The Masala can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a week. They can also be used to make a quick mixed rice.
Peanut masala paratha
- Rolling pin for rolling parathas
- Tava for cooking paratha
- Mixie/spice grinder for grinding the peanut masala
For the Dough (Makes 12 parathas)
- 4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk can be substituted with water or yogurt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp salt or to taste( i usually dont add salt to my flatbread dough)
For the Stuffing (for about 14 paratha's)
- 1 cup groundnuts /peanuts
- ¼ cup gram dal chana dal
- ¼ cup coriander seeds
- 1 tsp flax seed /white sesame seeds
- 10 nos red chilies i used round variety
- a small lemon-sized tamarind
- salt to taste
For the filling
- Dry roast each of the ingredients separately, except tamarind. While roasting, roast flaxseed finally. Switch off the flame, and add the flaxseed to the hot pan. The residual heat will pop the flaxseed, try to keep it covered with a flat plate.
- Let it cool completely. Take it in a mixer, and grind it to a coarse mix. Not too coarse, but neither too fine. Keep aside, until use.
For the dough
- Take flour in a wide bowl, i normally do not add salt to chapathi/paratha dough. If you add, add to the flour and whisk well to mix.
- Slowly add milk and water and make a soft dough. While finishing add oil and knead into the dough.
- Let the dough rest 30 minutes before proceeding to roll them out to make paratha's or plain roti's
For making the Paratha.
- Divide the dough into 12 portions. Roll each dough into a thick circle of 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place 2-3 tbsp of filling in the middle of the rolled dough. Bring the edges together and seal the dough in the center.
- Now dust the dough ball with flour and start rolling into a disc again. I rolled into a disc of about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Heat a non-stick pan, cook the rolled out paratha on both the sides till golden brown. Serve it hot with sides of your choice.
- I served it with plain yogurt mixed with black salt and some plain dal.
if you are looking for another interesting paratha recipe, try this cheese paratha, i bet kids would go gaga over it. This Masala poli is another spicy and zesty flabread stuffed with spicy potato masala. Check more flatbread recipes here