Paneer poha, a quick and easy breakfast dish made with paneer, indian cottage cheese and poha/rice flakes.
This paneer poha recipe is a regular at home. Both my kiddos love to eat poha anytime. Poha with paneer was my husband’s everyday breakfast when he as following quantified nutrition.Jump to Recipe
My elder one got so hooked to this breakfast, he used to pick and eat all the paneer cubes from my husband’s plate.
Paneer is a vegetarian protein source, being a pure vegetarian eating quality protein is a bit tough. I try to add paneer, soy chunks to our diet whereever possible.
As both the kiddos, liked this recipe, i started making it often, ofcourse with some veggies. The only condition is from my lil one, that there shouldn’t be any green peas. He hates them!
Poha is a versatile ingredient, you can make it into anything or just plain with spices. Like
Or you can also make it bit more extravagant like today’s poha recipe.
- I have used carrots along with paneer, you can add any veggies of your liking.
- You can add potatoes, cauliflower, peas, capiscums etc., but adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- I have used my chopper as my younger one gets much picky about onions and curry leaves.
- You can also chop them according to your choice.
- 3 cups poha thick rice flakes
- 100 grams frozen paneer cubes indian cottage cheese
- 2 no medium sized carrots`
- 1 no medium sized onion
- 1 no medium sized tomato
- 2 nos green chilies
- 4 tbsp freshly grated coconut
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- a sprig of curry leaf
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds kadugu
- ⅛ tsp hing/asafoetida
- 1 tsp chana dal/ gram dal
- 1 tsp urad dal/ split black gram dal
- 2-3 tbsp peanuts
- Take poha/rice flakes in a colander and run it under water to make it soft. Do not soak the poha, it will become mushy. Show it under running water and make sure all of it gets wet, just for 5 seconds. Let it sit, until use
- Take onion, tomato, green chilies, curry leaves in a chopper and chop it roughly. Remove this on to a plate. Peel and chop the carrots roughly and run them in the chopper too.
- In a kadai, heat oil given under tempering, when it is hot, splutter mustard seeds, next add hing.
- Now add the chopped onion-tomato mixture to the oil and saute for a minute. Next add the chopped carrots to this and saute for another minute.
- Add tumeric powder, red chili flakes and salt to this and mix well. Next add the paneer cubes to this. We are adding frozen paneer cubes straight from the freezer.
- Next add the grated coconut to this, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes in a simmer flame for the veggies to turn tender.
- Remove the cover and check, add the softened poha to this and mix well. Now lets us get on to adding crunchy elements to the poha
- Heat a tsp of oil in a tadka pan, when it is hot add chana dal, urad dal and peanuts to this. Saute and when the dal turns golden brown add this to the poha. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot.
- I m adding chana dal,urad dal and peanuts at the end, as they might get soggy if added in the beginning
- If you like adding dal to the tempering and sauteing the veggies, then pls go ahead and do that way.
- Frozen paneer cubes, get softened when the veggies are getting done.
- I have used carrots, you can add any veggies, like cauliflower, peas, potatoes, capsicums etc. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Like the recipe, PIN IT
Check out what my BM buddies are doing here.
Check out these condiments to go with your paneer poha