Barley Pongal | How to make savory pongal with barley
Barley pongal, a savory dish made with barley and moongdal. Pongal, a popular breakfast dish, served with sambar and chutney.
- ⅓ cup barley
- ¼ cup moong dal
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup water
- ¾ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon shredded ginger
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon chopped cashewnuts
- 1 teaspoon freshly pounded black peppercorns
- a sprig of curry leaf
Wash moong and barley twice in plain water and soak in a cup of water for a minium of 30 minutes.
In a pressure cooker take barley and moong along with water and milk. Mix well and pressure cook for 4-5 whistles.
In a heavy bottom pan, add 2 tablespoon ghee, when hot splutter mustard seeds, add curry leaves, ginger, cashewnuts and saute until nuts turn golden brown. Finally add cumin seeds this tempering.
Tip all the cooked barley and moong to this tempering, add ¼ cup water to vessel and add it to this. Add salt and pounded pepper to this and mix well.
Let this sit on the stove for 10 minutes, for the liquid to be absorbed. Once done, remove from the stove. Serve it warm with chutney and sambar.
- Pongal usually thickens as it rests, so do take it off when it is a bit saucy not watery, a bit saucy.
- Serve it warm, even if you have made it ahead, just add 2-3 tablespoon water or milk mixed with water , mix and heat it to become warm and enjoy.