After buying Barley, i tried them in soups and stews and now i have started using them regularly in our Breakfast menu. All these days the only dosa's i make was Rice/Rawa/Pesarattu. All these involves a little or more of Rice. I came across this recipe @Pavithra's Space,and i tried making these Barley Dosa. I tried this with a little doubt, whether will it be crisp and suit our taste-buds and moreover will Kuttu enjoy this???
To my surprise, they came out very well and even kuttu our "Dosa Master" enjoyed them well and now i make these at-least, once in every 10 days.
Recipe Source : Dishes from my Kitchen
4 Cups Barley
1 Cup Urad Dal
Salt to taste
Ghee/Gingely Oil for making Dosa's
- Soak Barley for 6 hours and urad dal for 2 hours. Drain the excess water from both.
- Grind urad dal separtely to a fine batter. Next grind barley to fine batter. While grinding the batter for the above mentioned quantity i use my Grinder, and while making half the quantity mentioned above i use my mixer for grinding.
- Mix both the batter together and ferment overnight or for 8-10 hours. Since it is summer now, i just leave the batter on the Kitchen counter overnight. If climate is a problem for fermenting, then leave the batter inside the oven overnight, with the lights on.
- Next day morning, Add Salt and mix the batter well.
- Heat a Non-Stick pan, Pour a ladle of batter in the middle and spread it in to a circle using back of the ladle .
- Dot the edges with a teaspoon of ghee/Gingely oil. Flip and cook both sides until crisp.
- Serve hot with 3 nuts chutney or Flax-seed Spice Powder
healthy and yummy looks fabulous
Very very healthy breakfast 🙂
Barely dosa looks really yumm.
One of my fav dosas, i do this healthy barley dosas quite often, wonderful breakfast Priya.
Lovely, interesting and got me all excited that its made from barley. Very creative invention and yes, the chutneys are the best pairing.