Carrot & ginger lassi, a yogurt smoothie, made with fresh yogurt, carrots and zesty ginger. An instant energy booster and a refreshing drink to quench your thirst during summers.
Dubai summers run from april till september, you can feel the heat until late in the evening. But we can’t complain, we just have 2 climates, summer and little winter, though we complain about the heat, that doesn’t stop us for enjoying the weather during those times.
Summer months are best to enjoy chilled drinks, it also hydrates our system and also a quick energy booster. I try to have lots of lassi/yogurt smoothies during these months. Yogurt cools your body and adding flavors to it keeps it interesting.
My younger one is a big fan of lassi, yogurt blended with water and salt, he can drink a gallon. I try to make add some natural flavors to his drink so that way he doesn’t get bored.
Lassi can be made either sweet or savory. Cucumber and mint lassi is pretty famous and most often made in many house-hold. Mango Lassi, an exotic smoothie made with luscious mangoes, yogurt and milk. Turmeric lassi made with fresh turmeric root and yogurt, gives a herbal twist to the simple yogurt smoothie.
Lassi is a great snack to enjoy, it is healthy filled with the goodness of pro-biotics. Adding fresh veggies or fruits make it more hearty and filling.
- Carrots, i have par-cooked the carrots in the microwave and then blended with yogurt. If you are fine with the taste of raw carrots in your smoothies, go ahead and use them raw.
- Yogurt, i have used full fat yogurt, you can also use low-fat yogurt.
- Ginger, do not miss ginger in this recipe, it adds a nice kick of flavor.
Carrot and Ginger Lassi
- 1 small ccarrot cut into roundels
- 1 tso grated ginger
- ½ a green chilie optional
- few curry leaves
- ¾ cup Fresh full fat yogurt chilled
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Take the cut carrot roundels. in a microwave safe mug, add ½ cup water and microwave cook at high for 3 minutes. Let it sit the microwave for another 2 minutes. Take it out. Let the cooked carrots cool for 10 minutes.
- Drain the carrots, reserve that water, add it soup or rasam or to cook dal. You can also chill that water in the refrigerator and use it in the smoothie.
- Take the cooled carrots in a blender jar, add grated ginger, chili, curry leaves and yogurt. Blend until the carrots are smooth.
- Add water and salt, blend again until frothy. Pour it in glasses and serve.
I m not a Doctor or a Nutritionist The Nutrition information provided above comes from the plugin and is only an estimate.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter