Today i had Kuttu’s Friends for Navrathri. Had a good time with all the kids. I m posting a Sundal Recipe Today, The Main attraction of Navrathri!!! My Mom used to say when she was a kid, she and her friends used to have race in visiting the Neighbour’s (Whole Village, acutally)for Golu, Sing a Song, Collect Sundal and all their Buddies meet at a point to Check who got how much sundal !!! Fun!!!
When we were kids, Me and My Sis used to dress up and go to our neighbour’s house with a Kumkumabharani/Vermilion holder and call them personally to come and visit our Golu and get Thamboolam/Haldi-Kumkum. Ahhh, i soooooooo miss Chennai during Festivals!!! 🙁 Good Food, Great Memories!!!
|A Cute Sling Jute Bag for Thamboolam!!!|
1 Cup Chana dal/Chickpeas
2 tsp Freshly grated Coconut
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 tsp Chana dal/Urad Dal
2 sprigs of Curry leaf
3 nos Red Chilies
hing & turmeric, a pinch
1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
2 tsp Chana Dal
5-6 Red Chilies
1 tbsp Dessicated Coconut
- Dry Roast the ingredients given under “Spice Powder” and Grind them together to a fine powder. Store it in air-tight Container.
- Soak Chana Dal/Chickpeas Overnight. Drain and pressure Cook it with little salt for 3 whistles or until done. Drain and set aside. Don’t waste that water, try to use that in Rasam/Sambhar.!!!:)
- Heat oil given under “Tempering” in a Non-Stick Pan, Splutter Mustard Seeds, throw the red chilies, curry leaves, chana dal ,hing and turmeric.
|This thamboolam is for all my Visitors!!!|
- When the dal starts browning, add the cooked Chickpeas/Chana Dal and Give it a good toss!! ahh, how much i love this part, tossing!!!!
- Add a tspoon of the Spice Powder and Toss Again!!! Adjust Salt, add the freshly grated coconut, Mix Well. Serve Warm!!