Paniyaram is another interesting Breakfast/Snack option. When bored with regular Idly/dosa, i try making paniyaram with the same batter. Pillow-like, Puffy and Soft and a versatile Dish,where we can vary the seasoning to our taste.
Today i m posting a Delicacy from Chettinad, Vellai Paniyaram. These Pillow-Puffies can be Deep-Fried in Hot oil too, i have made them in a Paniyaram Pan to make it a little healthy. Serve them hot with Tomato Chutney, you would relish it.
The Same Batter can be used to make Vellai Appam using Appam Pan. Use the same batter without the Seasoning.
4 Cups Raw rice
1 cup Urad Dal/Dehusked Black Gram Dal
Salt to taste
¼ Cup Milk
¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
Oil for frying the paniyarams
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 green chilies, finely chopped or use ¼ teaspoon green chili paste
2 sprigs of curry leaves, finely chopped
¼ teaspoon grated ginger
2 teaspoon Bengal gram/Chana Dal, Soaked in Warm Water for 10 minutes
- Soak Rice and Dal together for 3 hours. Drain the water and Grind it to a smooth batter. Add Salt at the end and grind well.
- Transfer the Ground Batter to another vessel, add the Seasoning Ingredients and Mix well.
- Add Milk, Baking Soda to the batter and Give a Good Stir.
- Heat the Paniyaram Pan/Abeleskiver Pan, pour little oil in the holes and fill the holes ¾th of Batter.
- Keep the flame and Cook. Once it is done on one side, Flip it to other side and cook for 2 minutes.
- Do not be in a hurry while cooking, it takes about 5-8 minutes for a batch to Cook. Once Done, Transfer it to a plate and Serve Hot with Tomato Chutney an apt combination for this Delicacy
Sending this to Kids Delight - What kids Love for Summer hosted by Smitha, an Event by Srivalli and also to Healthy Food for Healthy Kids - Toddler Lunch, hosted by me, Event by Nithu, also Healthy Morsels - Baby and Toddler Food, happening @ Taste of pearl city
yummy looking paniyaram looks wonderful
Spicy tomato chutney and paniyaram is a heavenly combo.
wow wat a wonderful lunch box....luv it!
i too have tried this once, very yummy breakfast with spicy tomato chutney...yours looks too inviting with colorful chutney...
Wish to grab and have some, super tempting vellai paniyaram.
this is one of my fav.. i am yet to buy the pan though!
yummy n lovely paniyaram...nice presentation!
Paniyarams have come out perfectly
have to get the pan so I can sample all the yummy recipes I've seen for these
Yummy looking paniyaram,the bowl looks so cute...
Spice up the Curry
your paniyaram looks really tempting. I am salivating here.
That's an awesome choice priya..:)..wonderful to see your BM posts..
That looks cute and I love this recipe :)Happy to be your new follower..
Aha..these are my favorite!
Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi
such a tempting dish...looks wonderful.