This month's Bread Bakers event is hosted by our own +Gayathri Kumar of Gayathri's Cookspot, and the theme is Braided Breads. A theme, which i don't want to miss.
Zopf bread is a swiss bread made using flour, yeast,eggs and milk. I have used all except eggs and instead of white flour, i have used Whole wheat flour. Breads made using wheat flour are little dense, but i m baking with it for so long, we like that earthy dense taste of breads, which when toasted tastes great and with some cheesy toppings, it is out of the world.
I made a sponge with the flour first and then made the dough, it made a great difference in the texture of the bread. The taste of butter in the warm bread is so mesmerizing. Thanks +Gayathri Kumar for a lovely theme, waiting to see what all the other bakers have braided! 🙂
- In to a wide bowl, measure the whole wheat flour, instant yeast, salt and sugar. Whisk together to combine. Take Milk in a mesuring jug, warm it in the micorwave for 45 seconds, remove and add buter to it and whisk well.
- To this flour mix, slowly add warm milk and using a wooden spoon or a spatual, mix well for the flour to mix well with the liquid. There shouldn't be any dry floor in the bowl.
- Once mixed well, cover the bowl with a cling wrap and leave it in a warm place for an hour, for the sponge to double.
- After an hour, remove the cling wrap off the bowl, add the reamining 1.5 cups of flour to it. Divide the butter and add it to the flour mix in batches and start kneading a soft dough. The dough is pretty easy to knead.
- Once the flour mix comes together as a dough , remove it to a flat kneading surface, and knead it to a smooth dough for about 3-5 minutes.
- Place the smooth dough back in the bowl, cover and leave it to rest for another 1 hour. Once it rises to double, punch back the dough, remove it to the kneading surface. Now, preheat the Oven to 180C, before we starting doing the braid.
- The kneaded dough weighs around 900 grams. Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces, Roll it into long ropes, and braid them together. Brush the top of the braided bread with some butter and milk mix.
- Let the bread sit for 15 minutes, then Bake the bread in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
- Remove the baked bread to a wire rack, let it cook well. Slice and serve it warm with a toppingof your choice.
- I made 2 batches of dough and with one batch made 2 small braids and with the other batch one big braid.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Artisan Herb Bread Braid by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Basic Challah Bread by Cook's Hideout
- Braided Bread with Candied Papaya Chunks by Sara's Tasty Buds
- Braided Garlic Bread by Sizzling Tastebuds
- Braided Herbed Breadsticks by Ambrosia
- Braided Rum & Raisin Buns by All That's Left Are The Crumbs
- Challah Bread by Mayuri's Jikoni
- Cherry Cheese Braid by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Cheese Braided Bread by Sneha’s Recipe
- Nutella Braided Bread by Veena’s Vegnation
- Orange Saffron Braided Brioche by Food Lust People Love
- Scali Bread by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Spice and Herb French Braid by The Schizo Chef
- Two-Seed Potato Challah by What Smells So Good?
- Whole Wheat Challah Bread by Spill the Spices
- Whole Wheat Pizza Braid by Herbivore Cucina
- Whole Wheat Zopf Bread by I camp in my Kitchen
- Winston Knot Bread by Gayathri's Cook Spot
- Zucchini Yeast Bread by Baking Sense
They look so nice and perfect.. that tempts me to bake a bread.. I too rarely bake breads..
A Day in the Life on the Farm
3 perfect loaves of bread.
What a perfect loaf of bread! I bet is was delicious! Whole wheat and a sponge add so much flavor don't they?
Eileen (Baking Sense)
That bread has a nice crumb. Looks tasty!
I have read that making a sponge first while trying with whole wheat flour improves the texture of the bread. The loaves look so beautiful and love that crumb texture so much..
lovely bread priya ! and the crumb and earthiness from the wholewheat is so inviting
Lovely bread Priya... with only wheat flour.
Lovely looking braided breads Priya. Love the use of wholewheat flour to make them.
a lovely bread to have with soup
Perfect and healthy braided bread.
All That's Left Are The Crumbs
Such a lovely braided loaf.