A super healthy twist for our regular sevai or rice noodles with pepper and flax seeds. The podi can be mixed and matched with other ingredients too. You can even add a tablespoon of coconut or even white sesame seeds. The spice powder can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator to make this snack quick. Kuttu prefers this sevai with some yogurt, whereas the lil one haves it as such.
1 Packet Instant Sevai Mix
Salt to taste
fresh coriander for garnishing
To roast n grind
2 teaspoon peppercorns
2 sprigs curry leaves
1 teaspoon urad dal
1 teaspoon tsp flax seeds
½ teaspoon groundnuts/peanuts
1 red chili
1 teaspoon oil
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
¼ teaspoon hing
1 teaspoon chana dal
1 tablespoon almond silvers
2 sprigs of curry leaves
- Cook sevai according to packet instructions. I bought concord brand sevai, according to pack instructions, we need to boil 3 measures of water for 1 measure of sevai. When the water begins to boil, add the sevai and cook for 3-4 minutes. Take it off the stove, drain it in a colander and add a teaspoon of oil to the sevai.
- Take care not to cook the sevai for long only 3-4 minutes on the stove, or else you will end up with mushy goo!!!
- While the sevai is draining, let us prepare the Flaxseed n pepper powder. Dry roast the ingredients given under “Roast n grind” one by one. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Take it in a mixer or coffee grinder and powder it. I usually make a little extra of this powder/podi and store it in the refrigerator and use it make mixed rice too.
- Now, heat oil given under “Tempering” in a wide pan, splutter mustard seeds, add hing, chana dal, almond silvers and curry leaves. Saute for a minute or two until the dal and almonds change color. Add the drained sevai to this and toss well.
- Add half the ground powder/podi to this and mix thoroughly to coat the sevai. Adjust salt and taste check, if you feel like adding some more podi for the flavor, add another teaspoon of it and give a good mix. I added ¾th of the ground powder to the sevai
- Let it sit on the heat for another 2 mintues for the flavors to mingle. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with yogurt or chips.
Sending this to Kids Delight – After school snacks, happening @ +Nivedhanams Sowmya space, an event by +Srivalli Jetti .
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#38
wow very different and healthy sevai 🙂 looks fantastic !! very flavorful podi dear !!
Spicy Sevai! I had no idea you get instant sevai packets, learnt something new.
thats a healthy way. superb.
melagu sevai looks awesome!! love to taste some..
very healthy aval sevai 🙂 looks superb and love your clicks very natural
spicy sevai. Liked the addition of flaxseeds. Makes it more healthy
Wat a healthy idea, pepper and flax seed rice noodles is just inviting me..
healthy recipe and awesome click
Very interesting addition of flax!!
looks amazing…..so tempting…gorgeous clicks..
That spice powder sounds interesting and so flavorful. Sevai looks delicious.
Wow nice and healthy
Interesting flavors.. Sure the like & would have tasted flavorful.
Very healthy Sevai. Like the idea of adding black pepper in this…looks delicious
Thanks for different and very healthy Sevai recipe.
A very nice idea to add flax seeds in the sevai! hEALTHY AND DELICIOUS!!
A very nice idea to add flax seeds in the sevai! Healthy and delicious!!
This can be a lovely breakfast. Beautiful 🙂
A very healthy dish , must try for me !
very healthy sevai…. bookmarked…beautiful clicks
what a flavorful and healthy podi
What an interesting snack Priya..I haven't used flax seed much other than baking..this surely makes me want to try it out..