½ Cup Chopped Poosanikaai/Ashgourd/Winter Melon
- Soak tuvar dal and cumin seeds given under “To Grind” in ¼ cup water for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain the excess water, grind it to a smooth paste along with rest of the ingredients under grind. Use ¼ cup of water or more to get a smooth paste.
- Mix this paste with yogurt, whisk well. Use ¼ cup water, if the mixture is too thick.
- Heat a pan with coconut oil given under tempering. Splutter mustard seeds, add hing, turmeric and curry leaves.
- Next add chopped tomatoes and gourd/winter melon/poosanikaai. Add ¼ cup water and little salt, mix well. Cover and cook in a simmer flame until the Ash gourd is cooked and the moisture bis almost dried up. It will take around 12-15 minutes.
- Next remove the cover and reduce the flame to minimum and add the whisked yogurt spice to the cooked melon. Mix well.
- Do not allow the mixture to boil. It should start frothing around the corners and in the middle. Take it off the stove. Garnish with ginger julienne s and serve as an accompaniment to rice. I served it along with Rice and Potato Roast.