Sundaikaai vathakal/Turkey berry stir-fry , a quick and easy to make dish, served straight from the pan to treat your upset tummy.
In my last post, i shared about neer sundaikaai/turkey berry in brine and mentioned, it can be used in various dishes. This Sundaikaai vathakaal, is made with those brined berries. A recipe that takes less than 10 minutes to make.
Sundaikaai/turkey berry known well for its medicinal values. A home remedy widely used to treat stomach related ailments, mainly indigestion and intestinal worms. Many south-indian homes have a regular practice of eating turkey berries for the same reason.
How to make it?
This sundaikaai vathakal is a simple no-fuss dish. All you need is a 1/4 cup of turkey berries, i have used the brined ones. Heat oil/ghee, according to your dietary preference, crackle cumin seeds and saute the neer sundaikaai/berries from brine. Add this sizzling tempering over cooked rice, add salt, mix and enjoy. I would recommend the rice be served hot, straight from the pan. It is not suitable packed as lunch.
What to pair with this stir-fry
The sundaikaai stir-fried rice can be enjoyed as it is , and doesn’t require any condiments. Since it is treats mild stomach ailments like gas, bloating, i m suggesting similar food that will help you to keep the tummy light
- Nellikaai/amla thogayal
- Curry leaves thogayal
- Turmeric & ginger thogayal
- Killu milagai rasam
- Mialgu rasam
Sundaikaai Vathakal | Turkey Berry Stir-fry
- ¼ cup Neer sundaikaai/turkey berries in brine Recipe here
- 1 cup cooked rice, we use sona masuri rice leftover can also be used
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee/oil according to your dietary preference
- Spread the rice on a plate and fluff it with a fork. If using leftover rice, then i would suggest steam it a little in the Microwave or on the stove-top.
- If you are planning to cook rice fresh, then rinse 1 cup of rice 3 or 4 times with water. Add 2 cups of fresh water, cook the rice on stove-top, once the rice is 90% done, strain the extra water completely and keep it covered for 10 minutes. If making in pressure cooker, cook for 3 whistles.
- Take 2-3 tbsp of berries from the brine. Heat 2 tsp of gingely oil in a tadka pan, add 1/4 tsp of cumin seeds. Let it crackle.
- Now reduce the flame, add the berries, it will sizzle well. Let it fry for 3-4 minutes, until it gets nicely browned and crispy.
- Remove the berries from the stove. Add this to steaming hot rice, add little salt mix well and enjoy.
- The berries can be made even more crisper if you saute it, for few more minutes in the hot oil, but i prefer a mix of crispy and soggy berries.
- This rice mix is said to be good for digestive issues. Whenever you feel little bloated or a minor gas trouble, this berry saute on steaming hot rice gives a good relief.
This rice mix is good for digestive issues. Whenever you feel little bloated or a minor gas trouble, this berry saute on steaming hot rice gives a good relief.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter