Thiruvadirai Kali, a traditional dish made with rice & dal, during the festival of thiruvadira. A festival celebrated in glory of Lord Shiva in the southern state of Tamilnadu and Kerala.Jump to Recipe
What is Aarudra/Thiruvathira
Thiruvadirai is the star of Lord shiva. Margazhi Thiruvadirai, a fesival celebrated on the full moon day, also called as Aarudra Darisanam. The festival celebrates the cosmic dance of Lord Shiva.
The traditional offering made on this day is called Thiruvathira kali and 7-kari kootu. The Thiruvathira kali , made with rice and moong dal, is sweetened with jaggery . The kali is then served with a stew made of 7 different vegetables, 7-kari kootu. One of the festivals where we offer a sweet paired with savory side, signifying life is a balance of all tastes.
If you are looking for a kali recipe with millets, an alternate grain to rice, check this Kuthiravali kali recipe, made with barnyard millet and moong dal.
How to make Kali
Start by dry roasting rice and moong dal and pulsling it to a coarse mix. This mix of rice and dal, then cooked in jaggery water until soft. Add cardamom powder and finish it with a generous addtion of roasted cashewnuts.
Thiruvadirai Kali | How to make kali in cooker
- Pressure cooker
- ½ cup rice i use sona masuri/ raw
- 1 tbsp moong dal
- 1 cup grated jaggery
- 4-5 pods cardamom, seeds alone crushed
- 3 tbsp cashewnuts
- 1 tbsp ghee for roasting cashews, use oil for vegan
- In a pressure cooker, dry roast the rice until it turns reddish brown. Take care not to burn, keep the flame low and roast it. Take it off the flame. Let it cool.
- In the same cooker, dry roast the moong dal also to golden brown. Let it cool. Take both rice and dal in a mixer and grind it little coarse powder.
- In the cooker, add the grated jaggery and 2.5 cups of water, let it boil and jaggery melt. Take it off the flame and strain for impurities.
- Take the strained jaggery syrup back to stove in the cooker, when measured it was 2 cups, now add another 1 cup of water and crushed cardamom to this.
- When the mixture starts boiling, add the coarsely ground rice-dal mixture, mix well. Add a tbsp of ghee to this, mix well. Close the cooker, put the whistle on.
- Pressure cook in a medium flame for 3 whistles. Let the pressure release on it own.
- Remove the whistle and mix well, garnish withroasted cashew-nuts. Serve it along 7-Kari Kootu
Serve this traditional thiruvadirai kali warm, with 7-kari kootu, a tangy stew made of mixed vegatables and beans. Enjoy the flavors of sweet and savory in your palate.
If you have tried this recipe and like it, give it a star rating or let me know in the comments below. You could also share it with me on Instagram using #icampinmmykitchen and tagging me @priyasrinivasan.
You could follow me and my recipes on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | twitter
More Festive Recipes
- Black urad dosa – Azhagar temple prasadam
- Thirattipal – Andal temple prasadam
- Kalkandu panagam – Narasimhar temple prasadam
Do you like the recipe? PIN IT
An old recipe from 2013, updated with new content for better engagement.