So during lazy days i make a pulao, make some raita and some appalam, both the kiddos are happy. This tomato-coconut milk pulao is one such happy dish, it gets ready in 20-30 minutes, best recipe to make during the morning rush.
My kiddos don't like peas or carrots in their rice dish, so i havent added them , if you prefer to add please go ahead and add them, they will bring a nice color to the dish.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Take tomatoes, green chilies and ginger in a blender and blend until smooth.
- In a sauce pan, heat oil, crackle cumin, add clove, cardamom and bay leaf. Add red chilies, now add the blended tomato juice to it, saute for a minute.
- Now add the drained basmati rice to it, saute for a minute, next add red chili powder, tumeric powder, coriander powder, garama masala powder to it.
- Add coconut milk and another ½ cup of water to it. Add salt, mix well. Cover and cook in a simmer flame for 15- 20 minutes or until done. Once done, fluff it up with a fork, add a generous drizzle of ghee.
- Pack it with some potato curry or appalam for your kiddo's lunch. My elder prefers a liquid along with his rice, so i usually pack it with raita.